“Very special evening”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
Windsor, Canada
“Very special evening”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband had worked with a high-end travel service to book a weekend in NYC for my 40th birthday. When we got the restaurant the Maitre D was extremely professional and was almost able to cover up the fact that the travel agent had not made the reservation. Had we not 1/2 expected it that point (a couple of other things had fallen through) I might had no idea--it was handled that smoothly. They very quickly found us an excellent table. The service is exceptional--Everything we ate was inventive and spectacular. If you are a foodie I would put this on your list when you come to New York. Also--we had to rush a bit because we had tickets to a ballet--I wouldn't do that again--you want to be able to take your time and savour here.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jgw W

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belo Horizonte
“Famous but just average”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

A somewhat artificial atmosphere, looks like a big warehouse, it´s not really cozy like a French restaurant would be. Several courses of tiny size make you feel like you are in a tasting session, incomplete at every interval. Food taste itself was alright. Not up to the reputation.

• Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Upscale dining for those who like to feel special”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've been to Le Bernardin a number of times over the years; with clients, friends, and with my husband. The menu is a bit out there so it helps if you are into trying new things. I've enjoyed every dish they ever put in front of me. The setting and service are impeccable. If you are into elegance and white glove pampering, this is the place for you. Perfect spot when you want to impress, or just splurge and feel like royalty for a couple of hours.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank bkwerner
Valley Forge, PA
“'Fine dining' for lunch”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Drove to Manhattan for an anniversary lunch date and was not disappointed. We started with a very fresh sweet yellow tail (Hamachi) with the black garlic-ponzu provided a very good & exciting lunch. The halibut with red miso citrus emulsion is extremely flavorful and exponentially elevated the dish. Monkfish was very light and has a subtle taste, yet fresh. With the Armagnac-black pepper sauce, the dish was heaven. Pounded tuna which seems to be a favorite dish had left me unimpressed...nothing special.

• Visited August 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth it in every respect”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

After the Theater, we made a reservation at Le Bernardin. Even at the late hour of an 11PM reservation the restaurant was bustling. We arrived early and were asked to have a cocktail in the bar while they spent 20 minutes getting our table ready. The cocktail list was interesting with a mix of classics and modern libations. The bar snacks were also of high quality - the candied walnuts with pepper were my favorite.

Two years ago the dining room and bar area were given a sprucing up. The bar area was enlarged and the entire space's decor was given a welcome modernization. All making for a pleasing experience from an atmosphere perspective.

However, it's all about the fish here. This was our second visit to Le Bernardin and it didn't disappoint. Sure, there were a couple of wine pairings we didn't agree with, but the food was outstanding. We opted for the seven course Le Bernardin tasting menu with wine pairing. I'll admit, I'm not a person who really likes fish, but if Eric Ripert would cook for me I'd become a pescatarian. For the quality of the food, presentation, and level of service, I found Le Bernardin to be a good value (especially when compared to some of its NYC contemporaries).

Following the obligatory and quite tasty amuse bouche, came the tuna course. Deceptively simple, this dish was a surprise of flavors and textures. It was pounded almost paper thin, placed on top of toasted baguette, and topped with foie gras. The contrast in textures between the fish and bread alone was enough to give the dish rave reviews but it delivered on flavor as well. The scallop in dashi with brown butter was a marvel. The broth made you want to pick up the shell that the sweet and tender scalloped rested on and slurp it.

I could go on about the experience and food, but wouldn't do it justice. I highly recommend making a reservation (well in advance) to try to the current menu. It's worth the price of admission!

Visited August 2013