“I think I am on love with Eric Ripert”
Review of Le Bernardin

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Went today for Monday afternoon lunch. Food heavenly, staff superb. Mr Ripert came into the dining room to visit a customer. A celebrated chef was in the kitchen cooking for us! Truly one of our best dining experiences. Our good friends who travel a lot told us this is their favorite restaurant in the world since it is the total package of well thought out food, fully trained staff, great wine list combined with an atmosphere where one can relax. Sometimes in this world of highly rated restaurants one does not feel welcome. Le Bernardin welcomes you with open arms. Already planning our anniversary trip to go back to Le Bernardin, my husband is not the jealous type.

2  Thank mitched5
There are newer reviews for Le Bernardin

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We visit NYC probably 4 times a year and try to sample a different "top rated" restaurant each time. We often leave underwhelmed by either the food or the service. I recently noticed Tripadvisor rated Le Bernardin a top restaurant in the world, so knowing we'd be there for Easter weekend well in advance, I had American Express book us a Saturday night table as soon as reservations opened up. We still ended up with a 5:30 table, but that was fine. My husband and I were joined by our 17 and 24 year old daughters and our daughter's boyfriend. (I only gave families with children an average rating because I can't imagine bringing young children- but older children who enjoy seafood-yes!) I was immediately impressed when a handbag stool was rushed to my side, but that was only the beginning. Everything we tasted was pure perfection. Of course my daughters ordered the Dover Sole which had an $18 upcharge from the $127 fixed price menu, but when I tasted it I thought I went to heaven. Amuse-bouche through dessert, we unanimously agreed, the best food we have ever eaten. We are champagne drinkers and didn't feel the prices were overly inflated. Here is where it gets better- the service matched! The waiter cheerfully agreed to any requests to have the fish cooked thru. Requests for photographs were also accomodated with a smile. We were in no way rushed, but also never had to wait. Everyone was very friendly and the atmosphere very pleasant. Our 2 sons are so disappointed they missed this experience we keep raving about that I guess we'll have to go back- can't wait!!

1  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husabnd and i were able to make reservations to Le Bernardin the Saturday after Valetine's Day this year. I can write a novel praising the food and the restuarant but words won't do it justice, it was AMAZING!!! To sum up my thoughts on my overall experience - I will never look at seafood the same way again, thanks Eric Ripert!!! Each dish was a transformation of the ingredients! Each meal was perfectly cooked, presented and flawlessly done. The staff was very knowledgeable and passionate about the food and the cooking technique. The restaurant was elegant, great ambiance yet not stuffy, everyone there seemed to be having a wonderful time.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Eric Ripert...heard the name, seen him on the food network, and wanted to try out his restaurant. Pellegrino list says it could be possibly the best seafood restaurant in the world. Bold Bold statement, so I was looking forward to see if it could live up to that reputation. My fiance was luckily enough to get a table the night we wanted to go, however it was the last seating of the evening...but not a big deal since we wanted to go and didn't prepare properly. Walking inside, I noticed the nice decor, lots of flowers, upbeat and lively room. We were the only asian's and a bit younger than the crowd. You notice a lot of business men/bankers (expense accounts working hard), older couples or families. You can smell the money in the air. Greeted right away, and and led to our table. To make it easy for everyone, when you are spending this kind of money, you expect good service, and they were spot on. Everything was perfect.

We went with the chef's tasting menu, and my fiance also got the wine pairing. Food was inventive, excellent tasting, and not fishy or ocean flavor at all. Every dish was perfectly cooked as well. Everything was in unison, but the sommelier did a good job with the wine pairings. My fiance kept on harassing me to eat each dish first without the wine, and then to eat it again with the wine. There is a noticeable difference, and it works well. The food also works well without wine too though. Like a song, each dish kept on leading up to a climax!

One more thing about the service, at the end of the dinner service, my fiance dropped our camera behind out seat bench. The staff actually came as a team of 3 and moved the bench out of the way to actually get the camera back. They didn't try and reach through the gap's of the bench and stretch out. Great service...very classy.

Unfortunately, we didn't see ER, but I guess when you are dining that late and one of the last people to leave, it's expected. You will not be disappointed, and as I suggest, go big or go home since you never know when you'll have an opportunity to go back. Now...is this the best seafood restaurant in the world? I can't say it is for sure, but I have to agree with Pellegrino...QUITE POSSIBLY.

1  Thank Jia24
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The service and the food are flawless and pretty well overshadow two areas of disappointment: 1. The dining room is pretty unremarkable and 2. The paired wine pourings were so short, I'd consider them to be equally comical and insulting.