“Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Bernardin

Le Bernardin
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Bernardin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
Falls Church, Virginia
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had the Le Bernardin Tasting menu. It was amazing. Each dish was presented with a brief explanation of the ingredients. A sauce was described and poored over the fish. In each case the sauce was very complimentary to the dish with exquisite and subtle flavors. The lobster lassagne was perhaps my favorite, but I was also blown away by the striped bass tartar and the scallop carpaccio. The black bass was also amazing. I would rate this dining experience as a10/10. I had dinner with my 16 year son who was also blown away.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank danoclarke

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Preferred the old Le Bernardin...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

But, the new Le Bernardin has its moments. The lunch menu is great value, and I usually visit this place during that service. The waiters are always professional, very efficient, but, never friendly. Good spot for business, less for romance. All in all, worth a visit in my opinion. Great wine list, too.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Outstanding Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Prix fixe menu for dinner. Also tasting menus but the entire table has to have the tasting menu. Service was excellent. Party of 6. Seated promptly. Outstanding wine list and the food was equally as good if not better. Everyone was very professional, nice and helpful.

New York
“Great seafood, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

One of the top seafood restaurants. The preparation is amazing. Very professional service. There is a bar area as well but the menu is very limited there.

• Visited February 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Disappointing experience - 1 star at best”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Please bear in mind that this review is against the expectations of 3 Michelin stars, top Zagat and New York Times ratings. And against those expectations, Le Bernardin falls spectacularly far short, I doubt I can take Michelin, Zagat or NYT American ratings seriously anymore. If you are looking for a memorable experience, and especially if you have eaten at similar establishments in Europe or Japan, you will be disappointed at Le Bernardin.

Overall, food is low-mid 1 star standard (safely not 2 stars), service high 1 star. (Stars are not a great rating system but oh well.)

Food: Can't really remember the amuse bouche, it was 2 raw seafood items and a cauliflower soup. I remember thinking the cauliflower soup was the best, ironic considering it is a seafood restaurant. For the first course, we had the oysters with seaweed gelee, and tuna with foie gras and toasted baguette. I felt the combination of the seaweed gelee with oysters was a good idea, but execution was mediocre. The tuna came highly recommended, and I honestly cannot see why: it was quite like eating a luxurious slice of smoke salmon on toast, the foie gras was like some emulsion sprinkled sparingly onto the tuna, and personally I could hardly taste it. Second course, we had the charred octopus "a la plancha" with green olive and black garlic emulsion, sundried tomato sauce vierge, and the sautéed langoustine; summer truffle and chanterelle, aged balsamic vinaigrette. This was probably the best course. Octopus was well cooked, not chewy at all. Flavor wise I was not a great fan of the sauce, but that might be my personal taste. Langoustines were well executed and tasty, the only dish of the night that I would say exceeded 1 star standard. For mains, we had the recommended Crispy Black Bass with Roasted Shishitos and Acorn Squash “Ceviche”, Peruvian Chicha Sauce; and the Poached Halibut; “Black Truffle Pot-au-Feu”. Both in a line, were hilariously bad, sub 1 star standard. The skin of the black bass was hardly crispy, and I think I can safely say it would not be difficult to replicate the dish at home, or possibly improve on it. The chicha sauce was not bad per se, but lacked the sophistication of flavors I was expecting. As for the halibut, poaching is a very delicate method of cooking, and I would say that the cooking did not achieve the potential (it was a tiny but more than just-cooked). Sauce was mediocre, by this time we were seriously disillusioned and could no longer take the food seriously. The mains could be passed off being served at your above average high street fish chain. Desserts we had the chocolate mille-feuille, and black forest, both were ok, nothing interesting, but in the context of the previous course we were happy just not to be disappointed. Ingredients were all very fresh no doubt, but design of the menu / dishes lacked the detail and perfection expected. Some of the sauces either did not compliment the fish, or were simply quite generic ie. it could have gone as well with a monkfish or snapper.

Service: we were lucky to get good seats, but as a note to possible diners, most tables are quite close to each other, especially those along the sofa row on the right as one enters the dining area. So if it is a special occasion, be sure to ask for the better seats. I guess the service was alright, expected of a fine-dining establishment, but significantly less good than in Japan especially. Glasses were refilled without prompting, and finished dishes cleared on time, with a pleasant attitude. However, we were serviced by a quite a few different waiters throughout the evening, so that meant service did not have the eye for detail one would expect from a 3-star establishment. Before the meal, I had asked for the table to be relaid as I preferred to sit opposite rather than beside my dining companion. From the way the waiter relaid the table, I could tell the attention to detail was not quite there. Also, when introducing the dishes, the waiters almost seemed to lack sincerity / pride, just speaking a line of words expected of them, it was hard to get excited about the food.

All in all, we spent including tip about 380 USD for 2, including a glass of wine (we were no wine connoisseurs so I had no comments on it). Frankly, we were extremely disappointed with the food and cooking, and left feeling we had wasted our money, and more importantly our time, as the night was a special occasion, having not met each other for a year. I would strongly discourage anyone, especially seafood aficionados, from visiting here. Off to Bouley today, and hope it is better.

• Visited March 2013