“Sophisticated, delicious and upscale”
Review of Le Bernardin

Le Bernardin
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Bernardin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Southwestern, French, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Sophisticated, delicious and upscale”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Shared a wonderful evening with my daughter there a few weeks before her wedding. Very elegant, and sophisicated. Highly reccommend.

2 Thank PNG1

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Four Star and Seven Years Ago”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

A friend and I went on President's Day during lunch as a challenge for me to eat at a four-star restaurant, something I've never done as I'm pretty low-maintenance in my food choices (I ate half a can of Pringles for dinner last night).

After our coats were checked, we were greeted by about thirty happy waitstaff on the way to our table. We both felt like we were a little out of place but we had dressed up nicely so maybe we fooled everyone else. The plate setting looked like it cost more than my rent and the silverware looked as if it had been polished for hours. Somehow the tap water tasted better than normal tap water. We ordered cocktails and were brought bread with a delicious salmon spread and then selected additional assorted breads from a basket - sun-dried tomato, turmeric, sesame basil, pretzel, you name it. The butter was replaced after we used a quarter of it. Then, the real food started coming out.

Course 1 - Warm Scallop “Carpaccio”; Snowpeas and Shiitake, Lime-Shiso Broth - I selected the scallops because they are my favorite and since I got something I hadn't tried before for my main course, I thought it would be okay to have something tried and true as an appetizer. Plus, Caitlin reminded me that they would be the best scallops I would ever have. And they were - sliced thin and arranged in such a way that you could have seven bites that would taste exactly the same. Each had the same proportion of mushroom, snowpeas, and herbs. The broth was buttery and smooth and had not been poured on the dish until it was placed in front of me.

Course 2 - Poached Skate and Warm Oysters, Brussels Sprouts-Bacon Mignonette, Dijon Mustard Sherry Emulsion - I wanted to try the skate because I'd never seen it on a menu before and was curious. I think I thought it might come out on the plate actually looking like a skate/sting ray but I suppose you don't actually eat the skin. It was more like an actual fish than I would have imagined, I for some reason was thinking it would be more like a shellfish, even though I'm aware there is no shell. It was white and thicker than other fish I've had, maybe half as flaky. I had to leave a few pieces of this on the plate because I just could not fit anything else in my stomach, aside from the obligatory space I saved for dessert.

Course 3 - Madagascan Chocolate Ganache, Candied Peanuts, Popcorn Ice Cream - While every bite of the first two courses was identical, each bite of the dessert tasted different from the next. So much so that Caitlin and I didn't even try each others' dish; I think we each wanted ours all to ourselves. The ganache melted in my mouth and the salt from the peanuts and popcorn mixed with the sweetness of everything else perfectly. If I could eat this every day for the rest of my life I would be able to give up all my other dreams because I would be happy.

The service we got at Le Bernardin was out of control and so much better than the service anyone ever received at the seafood restaurant back home where all my friends and I worked in the summers during college. The food was plated beautifully and every bite was as good as the last. Four-star dining is definitely something everyone should try at least once. A weekday when you're off work for a holiday is a good time to do it too - it sure made us feel Presidential.

Syosset, New York
“Unbelievable meal”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I went to this restaurant for our anniversary and it was unbelievable. From the first moment with the staff holding the door for us to the whole process and food it was truly an event. We both had the tasting menu and it was beyond delicious. They knew we had theater tickets as well as it was our anniversary. They moved us along without rushing us. The whole meal was so well coordinated. The staff knew exactly what to do with each course. Yes it is pricey but essentially you are paying for the most amazing meal and service possible.

3 Thank stentdoc
Tortola
“OMG!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Wow, having grown up in a seafood restaurant I know great fresh fish but the use of flavours and textures was unbelievable from begging to end . I'm unsure if I can
use such words on tripadvisor but Ill try - "A organism on my tongue with every bite ." Service and staff amazing . HOWEVER - WEAR A JACKET ! required by restaurant !

3 Thank LUV-TO-TRAVEL-SB
London
“The Best”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Number one of my favourite restaurant in NYC. Wonderful, start from the hostess, efficient. The floor plan and lightning are perfect and the fresh flowers..wowwww....beautiful. The dress code is very good, always jacket! The service is lovely.
The best place to have your fish in a big style, yummy!!!
I will come back always, no question!!!!!

2 Thank railondon1