“Sao Paulo on 46th St.”
Review of Ipanema Restaurant

Ipanema Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Ipanema Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #234 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese, South American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: In the heart of Little Brazil street is the famous Ipanema Restaurant, considered to be the best Brazilian restaurant in all of New York City. Ipanema offers a relaxed and contemporary atmosphere complemented by the authentic cuisine our chef has perfected over the past 30 years. While the name Ipanema refers to the famous beach in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil our menu is firmly rooted in the culinary crossover between both Brazil and Portugal. Ipanema's menu combines the timeless history of Portuguese recipes with the zest and vibrancy of Brazilian cuisine, resulting in a one-of-a-kind dining experience. At Ipanema you can immerse yourself in a true Brazilian-Portuguese experience with famous dishes including: Feijoada, Vatapá, Pão de Queijo, Bacalhau Assado, Bitoque Mariscada, and more.
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Very good, authentic Brazilian / Portugese food served by friendly / efficient staff - nice portions at fair prices from a pretty varied menu (meat, poultry, fish). The room was clean, not too loud or "tight", and decorated just right. Reasonably priced wine list. Never felt rushed. Thoroughly enjoyed our pre theater meal and would not hesitate to return.

1  Thank BroadOakPS
There are newer reviews for Ipanema Restaurant

Reviewed February 7, 2014

..since I didnt. I had some kind of stew with monkfish and prawns, which was ok. Drawback was a slight ammonia taste of the fish. And the fact that it was drenched in this sauce which was.. A bit on the bland side, with a touch of coconut. My colleague had a steak and it came with yummy looking potatoes and vegetables. He liked it a lot, which was a pity, since it looked like I could like it a lot as well. The wine from New Zealand ( bottle) was reasonably priced and excellent.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My parents took my sister and I to Ipanema early January. It was their second time there and they were excited to show us how delicious the food was. And indeed it was. I had the lamb and although it wasn't THE best lamb I've EVER had, it was delicious. My sister had one of the steaks and that was absolutely divine. Basically, you just can't go wrong with any of the choices.

Although we were the only table who had to ask for bread, the staff was extremely friendly. I would go back in a heart beat. Highly recommended.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Only 2 blocks from Times Square, this place is a great find! Great food at reasonable prices in the middle of mid-town. The salmon was one of the best I've ever had. But make reservations, since they were packed on Friday at 5 p.m.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

This was the best of several good restaurants we visited during a week-long trip to NY.

Four of us arrived from a disappointing trip to the nearby Rockefeller Centre, scuttling through the rain. It was well worth it.

The cocktails were good, being based on rum or something like it they reminded some of us of a trip to Cuba.

The food was good, with seven of the eight dishes ordered excellent. I took one for the team by having the national dish as my main (we thought we should try it). It is a bean and sausage stew, nothing wrong with it, but a bit ordinary. Unless you are an expat Brazilian yearning for the taste of home give it a miss. (The next table ordered huge sizzling steaks that I lusted after instead, which took the edge off my meal - not the fault of the restaurant!)

Our waiter, a man of mature years called George(?), was helpful, pleasant and chatty but not intrusive.

Highly recommended.