“Good Food & Atmosphere”
Review of Ipanema Restaurant

Ipanema Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Ipanema Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #307 of 14,308 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese, South American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: In the heart of Little Brazil street is the famous Ipanema Restaurant, considered to be the best Brazilian restaurant in all of New York City. Ipanema offers a relaxed and contemporary atmosphere complemented by the authentic cuisine our chef has perfected over the past 30 years. While the name Ipanema refers to the famous beach in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil our menu is firmly rooted in the culinary crossover between both Brazil and Portugal. Ipanema's menu combines the timeless history of Portuguese recipes with the zest and vibrancy of Brazilian cuisine, resulting in a one-of-a-kind dining experience. At Ipanema you can immerse yourself in a true Brazilian-Portuguese experience with famous dishes including: Feijoada, Vatapá, Pão de Queijo, Bacalhau Assado, Bitoque Mariscada, and more.
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We ate here on Saturday 5/20. You know you have made a good choice when the local Brazilian population chooses the same place. The waiter was great, and so was the caipirihas.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great Brazilian food (churassco gaucho, shrimps a baiana or paulista) and attentive service. Dulce d Leche for desert-not what a diabetic should eat, but sooo good.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Me and my brother stumbled across this place when in the city. We looked at the menu and it looked well priced. The staff are brilliant and can't do enough for you know it's going to be a good restaurant when 1) it's full 2) all the clients are Brazilian!
The portions are large, but very good. The grilled chicken in a sauce with mushrooms was brilliant and my brothers steak was equally as good.
The only downside was there are no refills on soda, which meant the bill was up by 20$ as we dank a lot of soda. However this is not an issue as the food was so good,

Reviewed March 30, 2012

I was stuck in Manhattan awaiting a flight home and, on a hunch, I looked up the Ipanema Restaurant in Midtown. To my surprise, it was still there, claiming a 20 year history on 46th Street off 5th. When I got there I was a bit confused, because I had eaten there regularly in the late 70's but the restaurant then was on the south side of 46th and this one was on the north. On walking in, I was greated warmly and given a nice table and, looking around, I remembered the great murals on the wall. The staff told me they were painted in last 5 years but I remember the same murals from over 30 years ago.

After ordering a Brazilian cocktail from the bar, I ordered a favorite Brazilian dinner of Feijoada, a black bean and sausage stew with various accompanyments like fresh greens, rice, a bowl of sliced oranges, and toppings. It was superb - just like I had had in Brasil and this restaurant in the past.

I was happy with the attentive service and the portions (large) and quality (fresh) and taste (authentic). It was a genuine Brazilian adventure and deja-vue experience.

I think the original owners had sold to a second generation and the new owners did not know the complete history of Ipanema - a restaurant that was, in the 70's, the only genuine Brazilian restaurant in Manhattan.

Ipanema, today, continues the tradition of being a great mid-size restaurant with great food at very reasonable prices.

I would recommend Ipanema to anyone who wants to experience a legitimate international dining experience - it's not cozy or chic - just great food in a great atmosphere for business, more-than-casual dining, or teaching yourself about the delights of food from Brazil at reasonable prices.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed March 25, 2012

I was with the friends at the art exhibit 4 days ago in the area, and someone suggested to go to Little Brazil. It was 11 of us so they were able to successfully squeeze all of us in the back of the restaurant.
I shared with a friend FEIJOADA COMPLETA (BRAZILIAN NATIONAL DISH) and it was delicious, little heavy but definitely tasty and worth trying ( actually big enough for 3 people to share!) They charge $5 extra for sharing a dish , but its worth it. Not only that is economical, but they also set the table in the way that's more easier and enjoyable to share. PAEHLA and Steak looked very good too.
The only thing is that If I wasn't in the area I wouldn't probably go all the way there just for it. But since Times Square is always in everyone's route at least once in a while, its worth stopping by Ipanema for food. It is good and the service was fair and tentative.