“Nice Bread - better for a larger group”
Review of Meske

Meske
Ranked #1,847 of 13,765 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian, French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
St. George, Bermuda
“Nice Bread - better for a larger group”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I will start by confessing that I am no expert in Ethiopian cuisine! We tried this to do something different. By design, Ethiopian food is for sharing and to make it work best, you need a bigger group than just me and my wife.
It was nice to get out to Hell's Kitchen and get away from the mid-town bustle. The restaurant is very 'no-nonsense', simple and plain. The two girls who were working on the Wednesday night were friendly enough but could have been a little more informative and helpful.
When we walked in there were only a couple of tables taken (another group of three arrived just as we left). There was also a strange (almost seweresque) odour. We did get used to this and it was not powerful enough to make us leave.
We ordered one sampler platter and one honeyed lamb dish. Washed down with an Ethiopian amber ale (hmmmm?) and an Ethiopian Pilsner (nice).
All of this is served on flat, spongy lemony bread. The bread is lovely and is used in lieu of cutlery to scoop up the food. To a large extent, the cuisine is similar to northern Indian food - a little more peppery. The lentil dishes were nice as was the lamb. The goat was a bit too gamey rich and too fatty for me.
In general, it was all a little similar and unspectacular.
My wife, who had been to a different NY Ethiopian restaurant, some years prior was a little disappointed as she was hoping to wow me - this did not wow me.
The above notwithstanding, it was good to do something different, I discovered a new bread which I loved and it was very good value.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank BermudaPool

“always delicious”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I'm a big fan of Ethiopian food and Meskerem on 47th and on MacDougal are both consistently fabulous. I usually get the veggie lunch combo and meat combo. Just be careful with the lamb--there are bones--bite delicately!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jtrooney75
Westchester, New York
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed January 14, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Love the special tibs . I have been here three times in the past year and have had a great experience each time. Service is very caring and attentive and the food is flavorful and fun. Don't overdo it on the spongebread (use smaller pieces) or you will get full quickly. Save some space for additional appetizers and dishes instead.

Visited November 2013
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Excellent, and a GPS find”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Went with my wife, two adult children and one of their wives, a nephew and his girlfriend. Had gone to the neighborhood to eat at Queen of Sheba, another Ethiopian restaurant but they had no room. Asked my Android smart phone what other restaurants were nearby and surprise, surprise it said another Ethiopian one was less than 200 yards away. We walked around the corner to find a very attractive, practically empty place. We ordered a number of combination plates to be served on their bread Ethiopian family style, and it was every bit as good as the Queen's but at a lower price. Service was very, very helpful and the Ethiponian beer was very tasty. Followed it up with a Broadway show (Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart). NYC is a great place to visit.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank jbrown413
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Delicious food.. Period!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I am not an expert on Ethiopian cuisine - so I will not vouch for its authenticity, but whatever we had tasted really good. The spices used seemed really exotic - and the act of eating by hand and the sourdough bread reminded of of Indian bread (Roti).. particularly Dosa, for those who would know. Overall, very tasty food! - and I would definitely visit again if I am in NY. For 3 of us, we ordered the Veg Combo, and 3 Entrees + a bottle of Ethiopian "Amber Beer" each. The bill came to about $78, plus tip!

The service was a little slow, but the wait was well worth it, without a doubt!

• Visited November 2013