“good value”

Cuisines: African, Ethiopian, French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I like Ethiopian food and don't often get a chance to have it, so a business trip to NYC and a planned dinner with a local friend gave me such an opportunity. I chose Meskerem for its location (relatively accessible from where I was staying) and the previous reviews. I concur with the judgments of others. The wait staff was very friendly. This is a small, simple place, but the food is good. We had the avocado appetizer (delicious) and the meat-veg combo plate. All the individual dishes were good. The spiciness was less than that I have found in other Ethiopian places; I could have had more heat, but my friend doesn't care much for spice, so the degree of spice worked well for the two of us.

There are newer reviews for Meske

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I recently visited Manhattan for our anniversary. We were staying in Times Square and wanted to get away from the crowds so we took a walk in to Hell's Kitchen and found this wonderful little restaurant. My wife had never had Ethiopian food before and she instantly fell in love. The two ladies that served us were extremely friendly, and didn't hesitate to make suggestions on our meal. The food was perfectly seasoned, came out quickly, and the portions were more than generous. We washed it all down with a variety of the Ethiopian style beers which wrapped up our well rounded meal. I will definitely be visiting this place again on our next trip to New York.

1  Thank Joseph W
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I ended up at Meske when I was in the mood for Ethiopian food and my friend who lived really close to this place recommended it. They serve really good food--the injera was fluffy, slightly tangy and delicious, and the different stews were flavorful and spicy but not too hot. Prices were reasonable. I wish I had a neighborhood restaurant like Meske to go to several times a week.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Visited here for the first time and it was very good. We had the sambosa appetizer, a combo plate and the kwanta firfir. I'd say all of it was good and the price is modest. I would say they could give you a little more food with the combo plate.
Washed it down with one of the Ethiopian beers which was excellent.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Meskerem (their sign reads "meske") is good quality, authentic tasting food which lacks the zing We would have liked. The vegetarian combo was decent but the white beans and the lamb dish were both a little bit spicier than need be. More discriminating, subtle flavor, less heat would have been appreciated. We'd go again if in that part of town but would prefer Awash anytime.