“I've been to the one in...”
Review of Meskerem

Meskerem
Ranked #1,851 of 13,748 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian, French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I've been to the one in...”
Reviewed December 24, 2007

I've been to the one in the west village. Good food.. ambience/decor is so-so

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“wonderful food (now it's...”
Reviewed December 15, 2007

wonderful food (now it's BYOB)

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I went there this year like early Feb with one of my African buddies, and there food was bangin”
Reviewed December 14, 2007

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“great for big groups of...”
Reviewed December 12, 2007

great for big groups of close friends! :) dig in!

British Columbia
“Delicious Ethiopian food”
Reviewed April 30, 2007

My wife and I always enjoyed this restaurant when we lived in Manhattan, and we always make a point of going there when we return for a visit. We ate at Meskerem twice while we were in New York this April, and both times it was delicious.

The portions are large, and the prices are very reasonable. The food is served on a large platter of injera (a traditional Ethiopian bread), with one platter for the whole table, and everyone sharing. There are no utensils; a second plate of injera comes on the side, and you break off pieces of injera to use to pick up the food.

(Note: The restaurant will give you separate plates, as well as utensils, upon request. However, I recommend throwing yourself into the experience, and eating the meal the traditional way.)

I highly recommend the combo platters--there's a vegetarian combo platter, and a combo platter that contains both meat and vegetarian dishes. They are a good way to experience a range of Ethiopian dishes. My wife and I usually get two vegetarian combos, which offers great variety and a lot of food, all for under $30 with tax and tip.

When the place gets full, the service can sometimes be a bit slow--so it's probably not the best place to go if you have to get somewhere quickly. However, the service is always friendly.

Excellent food, and a great value.