“Stay far away!!”
Review of Il Cortile

Il Cortile
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Cortile is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #353 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: Canal & Hester
Transit: Q,N,R,6.J,M, to Canal street
Description: IL Cortile has been family owned and run since 1975. A neighborhood staple for almost 35 years the Esposito family continues the tradition of sparing nothing to provide only the highest quality ingredients in all Cortile dishes. We are a full Service Restaurant Establishment offering both A-La-Carte dinning and a wide variety of pre-fix menu"s for group gatherings as well as off premise catering.
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My mother, aunt, and I were visiting Little Italy last weekend; we were so excited to taste some authentic dishes. As we were walking down Mulberry we were taken in to conversation by the host at Il Cortile. He seemed nice enough, and we were hungry so we decided we would eat here. As we walked in we noticed we were literally the only customers in the restaurant... this was the first red flag. While looking over the menu, one of the waiters yelled from across the room to ask what we wanted to drink; second red flag...would it have been that difficult to come over to the table and ask what we wanted to drink (like a civilized human being) considering we were the only customers? A bread basket and cold butter were brought over to the table; third red flag. Where's the olive oil?? The same yelling waiter then came back and took our orders. My aunt wanted the pork chops served without the peppers as she has a sensitive stomach; she asked if she could substitute them for something else. The waiter rudely told her no and that no substitutions were allowed. He told her all she would get would be the pork chops and if she didn't like that, "well order something else then!"--a direct quote. This was the last straw; no customer deserves to be treated the way we were. It may not have been his "rules" but there is definitely a more polite way of telling someone that substitutions are not allowed. After this display, we decided we would leave. Without hesitation or apologies for his rudeness, he told us he would get the bill. We had only ordered three drinks; of which it was obvious none of them had been touched. He told us we would be charged for them because he "can't put them back." What an awful experience! Never would we recommend going to this place, unbelievably rude server. We couldn't believe the audacity of this man... My family and I always give establishments and servers the benefit of the doubt; we know how hard it is working for/with the public every day. But there is no excuse for this! Please, head down the street a little ways to Da Ganerro (great service and food and wonderful olive oil mixed with garlic, herbs, cheese, and spices for dipping bread). Or if you are in the Times Square area, Trattoria Tecolori (between Broadway and 8th ave) is another wonderful, authentic restaurant, with servers who actually seem to care about their customers!

4  Thank Rita T
There are newer reviews for Il Cortile

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I'll agree the basic tomato sauce is very good, and our meals were okay...average, nothing over the top, and the service was wonderful....providing gluten-free pasta as I had called earlier in the week to be sure it would be available...and the server provided free dessert and coffee because our meals were delayed to first care for a group first.....did he say a party of 200? And there was the problem, we could barely hear him or each other....Okay so it seems the solution to this concern so the noise does not bounce off the metal ceiling while you enjoy your meal is to do what we could not get at the start. When I made my reservations 5 months earlier, I asked for the Garden room because that was what I was told I should do. They could not guarantee the Garden room, but I asked please try ....and long story short...we did not get it. So if you cannot get the garden room the next best is the room by the main entrance, but not the room next door to that area....or feel like you are going deaf. Quite honestly, it was quieter out on the street...I love metal ceilings, but places know how to do that will other noise-buffering materials so everyone is sane when leaving. This was to be our "special" meal and it just did not cut it....could have given a lower review, but the food and service pulls it up a notch to get to 3.

2  Thank Mary B
Reviewed April 9, 2013

An absolute must in Little Italy! If you like Italian you will LOVE this restaurant!!! The open feeling inside the restaurants "glass roof" dining room adds to the experience...WONDERFUL...DID NOT WANT TO STOP EATING!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We go to Il Cortile every time that we go to NYC. This time was Easter Saturday evening.
We had a reservation for 6:00PM, we were in Little Italy earlier and decided to try to go even if it was only 5:00PM. We were surprisingly received and had our table early. The food as always is very good and tasty, but this time our server (Joseph) did not gave us the special of the day, did not ask if we wanted the wine list, never came back to our table to check if our meal was okay and we had to ask for our bill and waited because he was making a salad for another table. We went to pay directly to the manager after waiting about 10 minutes. But the food is always good and we still recommend this restaurant over any other in LIttle Italy.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I can always tell a good place to eat when the locals are enjoying themselves. Although there are tons of restaurants to choose from in Little Italy, this place is a winner. Shortly after arriving a large group sat next to us to celebrate their son being promoted to Sergeant in the NYPD. They had just come from the ceremony and he was dressed in his dress blues with white gloves and all. The staff was very professional and I belive the kitchen would make you anything you could think of. Great courtyard spot to enjoy your food.