“worth it!”

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Reviewed February 21, 2012

When you walk up and down mulberry street there are a lot of places to choose from - a lot of the places try and "entice you in" - this place didn't need someone standing outside to do that. It doesn't look like much from the outside. 3 of us got a quick table - although I would recommend trying to get a table in the side room as there was a chill in the "walk in room" from those coming in from the outside as well as the waiters walking past in the tight space. by the time our meal came - there was a line standing out the door waiting to be seated. The prices are extremely reasonable and the food very good. Would definately come here again. For 3 of us - just 3 main dishes, a soda and a side of broccoli rabe - with tip - was $75.

1  Thank Liv2010UK
There are newer reviews for Il Fornaio

Reviewed January 28, 2012

I find that Il Fornaio on Mulberry Street a spectacular Italian restaurant. The food is both excellent and authentic, and the portions and prices were excellent too. The wait staff are very professional, friendly and helpful. The owners truly show that they appreciate that you dining there. The decor is perfect and the music, especially Frank Sinatra, adds to the authentic atmosphere. One thing that shows that this restaurant is excellent is that it has a high number of regular patrons. Il Fornaio should not be missed and will become a regular dining spot for those that go there.

2  Thank MikeFromQueensNYC
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Il Fornaio felt like home (in a good way). There's nothing fancy about this Little Italy eatery but the food makes up for the lack of decor. I had a house glass of wine (Pinot Grigio) and they literally fill the wine glasses to the top...my kind of place! We shared eggplant rollatini to start with and it was quite good. It was not the best I ever had, but good. I had penne vodka (I know, I'm a boring Italian). The penne vodka was definitely one of the best I've ever had, if not THE best. My fiance had one of the specials. It was a veal chop with mushrooms. It looked delicious but I don't eat veal so I didn't taste it. I'll just take his word. He said it was delicious. The bill came out to about $75 and that was for 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine, 1 eggplant rollatini, 1 penne vodka and 1 veal chop special. I thought the price was good. They were also playing Frank Sinatra and Frankie Valli, so that made me love the restaurant even more! This is definitely a little hidden gem of Little Italy.

1  Thank LuxeGirlNYC
Reviewed January 5, 2012

After a long day with a lot of walking my daughter and I decided to eat lunch/dinner in Little Italy. Everything in New York seemed pretty costly until we found this place. We walked up and down the same street looking at the menu. I wanted an antipasto with salad and lots of meat. I never found what I was looking for but we found this restaurant and they had a set lunch menu for $12. It was 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Nelson the waiter told us that they served lunch until 5. We had a dinner date at 6:30 but were very hungry. I asked if we could split a meal and he said of course. We ordered chicken I think and I remember it was delicious. It came with fantastic bread and salad. What a great meal at a steal of a price. I highly recommend IL Fornaio. The service wasn't slow to me. It wasn't fast either until I told him that we had to leave. I think if you said you were in a hurry you would get your food faster.

Reviewed December 14, 2011

It's a typical Little Italy Restaurant, with a very strange decoration and great food. The service is not the fastest, but that's ok because you want to sit down and enjoy, have a nice conversation, and then some great food. Be careful with what you order, because the plates are very big, and you may not be able to eat everything.