“Megu has good food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Megu - CLOSED

Megu
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: Church and West Broadway
Transit: 2,3,A,C,E trains. Closest station: Chambers St.
Description: Rated by the New York Daily News as the most stunning restaurant in New York, Megu takes each diner on a sensual journey through the culinary delights of Japan! The finest organic ingredients from across the globe arrive in our kitchen daily. Dishes are brought to your table as an array of dazzling culinary creations. Enjoy delicacies like our premium sushi & sashimi & Kobe Beef, cooked slowly using our unique Bincho-Tan Charcoal Grill. You'll be in ecstasy as flavors mingle to tease & tantalize, ending in a taste bud climax that releases UMAMI, the intensely satisfying flavor concealed within. Our elegantly appointed dining room is the perfect backdrop for dinner, with a wine list featuring over 400 selections, and 50 Sakes by the glass!
Northern New Jersey
“Megu has good food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

First of all, we were't going to eat at Megu. We had gone into the city because we had a reservation at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. A reservation we'd had for 7 weeks. We were stuck in major traffic outside of the Holland Tunnel and as it got further and further away from our reservation time we had to come up with a back-up plan and fast.

Our dinner companions suggested he call Megu to see if they could take us. Sure enough they fit us in...a reservation for 4 at 9:00 on a Saturday night.

The restaurant is really top notch on decor. Modern, cozy, dimly lit, relaxing and they have comfortable chairs for a dinner that will last at least 3 hours. Ours lasted 3 1/2 hours from drinks at the bar to coffee and dessert so if you are on time constraints you should eat elsewhere.

We decided to have a variety of dishes to share at the table. My recommendations are crispy asparagus, tuna and avacado Megu style, crispy shrimp in cream sauce, fried goat cheese sticks with honey sauce, fresh edemame, tatsuta juicy fried chicken, 4 flavor tajima kobe beef skewers, parmesan french fries with white truffle oil, crispy tuna tartare with quail eggs, tuna seared chu toro with garlic and spicy and crispy shrimp rolls.

The fried goat cheese sticks with honey sauce and the tuna avacado Megu style were amazing and must haves. The tuna avacado is prepared for you table side. Make sure to get the parmesan freshly shaved as a topper. We were a little apprehensive at first, but the waiter let us know it was recommended by the chef. We agreed and it was outstanding. Who would have thought that combo of flavors would be so very good.

As for drinks the Pomegranate Mint Julep with Jim Beam is delicious and our guests loved the Lychee Martini. As for desserts my husband and our two guests had the chocolate fondant lava cake with ice cream which they said was very tasty. I had the Megu cheescake with wasabi. It came to the table decorated with a raspberry and raspberry sauce on top. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to raspberries and should have asked the server prior to ordering it because raspberry is a staple of dessert decor. However, they were very understanding because it doesn't mention raspberry sauce on the menu and made another dish of it for me. In the end the dessert was good, but an aquired taste and one I'm sure that would have benefited from a fruit sauce...if I was able to eat it.

I would highly recommend Megu, but be warned, the restaurant is very expensive. It will run you almost $200 per person with tax and tip...if you do the tasting menu it will run you around $200-$300 per person plus. However, it's well worth it in my opinion.

• Visited October 2012

New York City
“Great Restaurant But Not For The Feint Of Wallet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Megu Downtown is sensational.

From the warm greeting to the spectacular Buddha ice sculpture in the center of the dining room, everything is over sized. the menu is large and varied from sushi to Kobe beef. The crisp shrimp is wonderful and not to be missed as an appetizer. The beef dishes are excellent. We did not eat sushi here because there are too many other great sushi restaurants in NYC, but few that offer these sensational takes on Japanese cuisine.

Megu is a special occasion restaurant. It is very expensive. Zagat says it is $85 per head, but it ran us over $150 per person. I thought it was worthwhile. It is a complete dining experience. There is no place like it in NYC or, perhaps, anywhere in the U.S. (There is a Megu uptown on First Avenue and 47th Street, but it is a totally different restaurant.)

Los Angeles
“Outstanding food, average service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I ate a Megu with some business associates. The dining room is beautifiul and very modern with ice sculptures and a wonderful modern Japanese design. Megu is a wonderful environment for couples and business associates alike. The food is very good. I would describe it as a Japanese, Chinese, western fusion. The menu is large with dozens of items to choose from. The truffle french fries, fried asparagus, and sushi dishes are good and what Megu is famous for. The service was not great, for a restaurant of this caliber. They didn't have enough servers for the dining room, and that was frustrating. I excepted much more from the service. The prices are too expensive as well.....this isn't Per Se level. A solid restaurant, but NOT to the level of the 3 star places in NYC, despite what the management wants you to believe.

Beirut, Lebanon
“Excellent service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

The food is very good. We enjoyed having some of their signature dishes. the decor is very nice with a lively classy atmosphere. The service is exceptional, and the waiters are very friendly and helpful. Good price/quality. I would definitely revisit every time I am in New York.

Belfast
“Refined Japanese food, but a bit stuffy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

The food was as I say refined and could not have any complaints. I didnt find it over expensive, but found the experience a bit dull for a top class Asian restaurant.. if on a date would have been perfect but as family of three with 17 year old daughter was worried about speaking too loud.. Would be far too quiet for a business dinner . I was there on a Saturday night and felt like I ha to tiptoe and whisper.

But as I say , for excellent refined Japanese food you wont go wrong..

• Visited August 2012