“something went wrong”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Manhattan (Downtown)
Cross street: Spring and Prince
Transit: 6 Train to Spring B,D,F,M to Broadway/LaFayette N,R to Prince
Reviewed February 6, 2017

I am a huge peasant fan and I have reviewed them twice but something went terribly wrong on Friday. I was solo and I wanted red meat. The bartender/waiter suggested the only dish which was a t-bone. I ordered wine and before I could finish my first glass of wine the steak arrived....right then and there i knew something was wrong. You can't cook a T-bone in 10 minutes. I grew up poor so I don't send food back. This steak was burnt(BURNT) on the outside and raw in the inside. The bartender asked me how it was and I gave him the thumb downs but to no avail. I ate what I could and left more that half untouched. I debated calling the next day but at the end its my fault for not sending back the $64 peace of meat....However the bartender/waiter knew i was not happy so you make the call. I would normally give a 1 star but I do love this place.

Date of visit: February 2017
Write a reviewReviews (368)

Reviewed February 1, 2017 via mobile

I had such a great expletive at the restaurant from the friendly front of house to the service that I would say was impeccable. This place has a casual atmosphere and a very relaxed feel.
I would definitely recommend ordering the sardines, octopus or the clams as a starter. Their popular suckling pigs is worth a recommendation, along with their truffle gnocchi.
Finnish off with the white chocolate bread pudding or their flourless chocolate cake. Mmmmmmm

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed January 18, 2017

Kind of hard to find, but through an anonymous door, you will find a trendy and busy restaurant, and in the back of the restaurant you could spot the woodstove. This gives the restaurant a somewhat rustic look in all its "trendyness".

The food was ok, but not as rustic as I had hoped.

Well worth a visit!

Reviewed January 17, 2017

Liked so many things about this restaurant - best linguine with clams I have ever had- huge clams ! Great waiter. Even though we had open table reservations we still had about a 45 minute wait- they felt bad about that and gave us a wonderful sampler of their desserts that were amazing. Great NYC bistro type spot.

Reviewed January 4, 2017

We eat here a couple of times a year and always enjoy our meal and the atmosphere.
It is always lively and busy. This place is full even when "hotter" restaurants are not and for a very good reason. The food is consistently good! They have a very good selection of "wood-fired" grilled items and you can always see the flames from the grill and oven in the kitchen. For modern inventive Italian-based food, there is none better.
We have probably eaten most of the menu by now and have never been disappointed. They always have a few interesting specials to offer as well.