“Amazingly great food but unbelievably noisy”
Review of Peasant

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Manhattan (Downtown)
Cross street: Spring and Prince
Transit: 6 Train to Spring B,D,F,M to Broadway/LaFayette N,R to Prince
Reviewed November 1, 2016 via mobile

I love Peasant, the food is phenomenal and I have been coming regularly each time I visit New York.

This visit was no exception. Great service and amazingly delicious food.

But the noise level was ear ringingly noisier than any restaurant I have been to in NYC, Seattle, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Chicago, and every other city I have traveled to for the past year.

It could have been our imagination but it seemed there were more tables shoved into the space. Or??????

If you don't want to have a conversation with your loved one, no problem, you can't beat the food, wine and prices. But if you are wanting to talk ..... you might have to skip. We unfortunately are going to have to skip next time.

1  Thank djlibrarian
Write a reviewReviews (370)

Reviewed October 24, 2016

This place serves authentic Italian food - not Americanized versions. Everything we ate had wonderful flavors. The fresh mozzarella was so delicious. My husband had the lamb served over polenta which was so creamy. I had a special - blue crab risotto. The place was warm and cozy and the service was outstanding.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed October 17, 2016

Consistently excellent Tuscan cuisine. Fabulous dishes cooked in wood burning stove - smells great even out on the street. Homemade ricotta with rustic bread the moment you sit down. this place still rocks.

Reviewed October 11, 2016 via mobile

This was an absolute treat!
Went out with friends (4 people in total)
We went there on a Friday night (after 9pm) and waited only 20mins for the table.
The restaurant is quite big.
We got cocktails while we waited. I had Aperol Spritz and it was great.
The food was amazing. We had chicken livers and prosciutto mozzarella for starters. The liver was amazing. It was a special of the day but if they have when you are there just take it.
For the main dish I had the mixed clams in tomato sauce. Incredible. Everyone was trying to steal the sauce from my plate.
There were also pasta with langustines, whole seabass and lamb ragu on the table. All looked good.
Great wine list too
Highly recommended

Reviewed September 28, 2016

From the wood burning ovens to beautiful plating, this place is just special. It's quiet, run by a truly committed chef and his wife. Despite sitting in NoLIta, it's not some spaghetti and meatballs place, but a true Italian experience. Heard about it from some locals-- not the sort of place that ends up on tour guides. It was really a lovely evening.

Date of visit: September 2016