“Succulent Roast Suckling Pig”
Review of Peasant

Peasant
Reserve with OpenTable
Peasant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,107 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Nolita
Cross street: Spring and Prince
Transit: 6 Train to Spring B,D,F,M to Broadway/LaFayette N,R to Prince
New York City, New York
“Succulent Roast Suckling Pig”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The food here is excellent, but you will pay a pretty penny. However, I do think it's very worth it for a special night out. I came here with my fiance for a Sunday night dinner. We called an hour ahead of time to make a reservation, and it's a good thing we did, because the place was full. We had some wine at the bar while we waited for our table, which we didn't have to wait too long for. Luckily, we got seated at a 4 seat table, so we didn't have to sit too close to anyone else. It does get a bit loud, but it has a very pleasant, cozy atmosphere. I love that the kitchen is open (the owner/chef was cooking right there) and the warm toned lighting coming from the kitchen and the big oven made it seem like a huge hearth. It's a great effect without being theatrical.

If you come here, you must try the roast suckling pig!!! It's so tender and flavorful... It's not a fancy looking dish when it arrives (the place is called Peasant), but it's about the wonderful flavor. I came here once years ago with my old company, and the roast pig is the thing that really stuck in my mind. Trying it again this time, it's just as amazing as it was before. We also had the rare venison special, which was my first time trying venison. Also excellent! Our appetizer was the burrata with roasted grape tomatoes still on the vine. I've never had burrata with roasted tomatoes and it was scrumptious. Our waiter very enthusiastically explained to us that they roast everything in their huge ovens (you can see the pigs and chickens turning on their spits). The portions aren't huge, but not small either. For us, they were just the perfect size. My lump of venison was probably as big as my fist. The wines are very good as well, and so was our dessert! Panna cotta, delicious!

• Visited October 2012

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“authentic italian food with great wine list”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

A friend of mine recommended this place to me and I decided to go on a Saturday night. Even though we didn't have a reservation, we didn't have to wait for a long time. The food was great, especially the pizza! Polenta was not as good as I expected. There were great Italian wines served at the restaurant. I will definitely come back here.

Visited October 2012
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Wonderful neighborhood gem with great food.”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Enjoyed our first time at Peasant over a long weekend in October in NYC. The food & decor are meant to evoke the rustic style of Northern Italian peasants. They hit a home run on all fronts. The service was great, the atmosphere jovial and best of all the food was amazing.

Be sure to try the roasted suckling pig, the burratta and the cheese and bacon appetizers. For dessert their ricotta cheesecake is made to perfection.

• Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
“Fantastic ambience, food good but not great”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This restaurant is so warm and has a modern rustic feel which is just so cozy. In the back of the restaurant is a wood burning oven and there was a pig roasting on a spit, almost felt medieval. This is a perfect fall/ winter restaurant choice. I started with the sardines which came in a teracotta dish, the sardines were good but just a little too much oil for my liking. I then had the suckling pig. Slightly strange way of serving it as it was in a smooth sauce, mixed in with fingerling potatoes. On the side was some suckling pig with the crackling on which was very tasty. The wine was really good. I would have liked it if the server had a bit more panache and had described the menu in a bit more detail . Tables can be close together and therefore noise level does get high but overall a really nice experience

• Visited September 2012
ireland
“Bad Tip Experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Really enjoyed the food at Peasant. The restaurant is a little noisey and the tables are a little close together so if you're looking for any privacy whatsoever this may not be ideal. The waiter was not particularly good..a little arrogant and abrupt. I was interested to see a previous persons comment about a negative tipping experience. Our waiter asked very loudly if there was an issue with the service. He was unhappy with an 18% tip and raised his voice very loudly to say that in New York 20% is the minimum accepted and more should be given for good service. The sad part is that that food and overall experience was good but i would be slow to bring others back to this restaurant incase they were massively embarrassed by such a show-man waiter.

• Visited September 2012