“Vietnamese to avoid in NYC Chinatown”
Review of thai son

thai son
Ranked #2,870 of 13,765 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: Chinatown
New York City, New York
“Vietnamese to avoid in NYC Chinatown”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

My wife and were schpatzering (that's Yiddish for meandering or wandering) through Chinatown when we got a jonesing for some Vietnamese food. We were looking at window menu of Thai Son when a Vietnamese-American stopped us and told how great the pho is. In we went. My wife's shrimp pho tasted star anise flavored water. My traditional-style bahn mi sandwich tasted like a bad liver sandwich (to some that might redundant). But a bahn mi should be an experience of diverse flavors with balance -- the roast pork, the country pate, the Vietnamese pickles, the cilantro on a fresh, crusty French loaf. Decidedly not what we had at Thai Son. For first class Vietnamese food head over to Ca Bo at 17th and 9th.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank wordwiz

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York
“Great Vietnamese Food at Reasonable Prices”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I have been to Thai Son around 70 times in the last 15 or so years. I had not gone in a few years as I stopped working in the area and recently brought my mother and Aunt who were visiting from Italy. It was just as good as ever. I like to bring people to this place as most people I know have never tried Vietnamese food. Most people make faces and aks if their are any Chinese places to go to as they are more familiar with the food. After trying this place everyone I have brought has said it was great and most prefer it over Chinese food. I have never gotten anything bad at this place. I love their beef cubes, fish casserole and any lunch special served with Vermicelli. Their Pho soup is also excellent. One of my favorite things is the traditional Vietnamese sandwiches that they serve on French bread. I would not recommend this if you are are trying this type of food for the first time. If you are new to this type of food start with the basics such as the beef cubes, grilled pork chop, grilled chicken and the Spring Rolls. This place has two other Vietnamese restaurants right next to it. They are all good but I think Thai Son is the best. This competion forces these places to make great food as they would go out of business if they didnt as people can just go next door. Cant wiat to go back.

• Visited September 2011
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“BIGGEST BOWL OF PHO EVER”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Always to try PHO,there were many vietnamese restos on the same road,chose this one looked busy and clean,
Ordered the pho which came in a huge bowl delicious meat noodles etc the soup was very very tasty.toooo much for me to eat all,great value for money $6.very friendly and polite staff.

• Visited June 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Despite the name, this is a Vietnamese restaurant. I had my favorite Vietnamese dish, Bun Tom Nuong (grilled shrimp...”
Reviewed March 22, 2008

Despite the name, this is a Vietnamese restaurant. I had my favorite Vietnamese dish, Bun Tom Nuong (grilled shrimp vermicelli)., and it was so delicious. Very reasonably priced - we split an app of summer rolls, each had a 33 Export beer, and our own entree, and it was less than $25! It's been awhile since we've eaten so much for so little in Manhattan.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook