“Great service, good food and nice atmosphere”
Review of Zutto

Zutto
Reserve with OpenTable
Zutto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,652 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: Harrison
Transit: 1 to Franklin 1,2,3 to Chambers A,C,E to Canal
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Had the eel sushi - so crispy and different! Ramen was good - remember to ask for the tamago. Short ribs steamed buns were yummy. Great yuzu cocktails and service staff were attentive and cheerful.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Great place for sushi and a Japanese fusion food. The service was attentive and the food great. Very nice saki and beer selection. We went with several small dishes and one entree.The atmosphere is trendy and cozy. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Fine average sushi joint, kind of dark, but nothing wrong with the food if you like sushi. Staff is okay, nothing special, but they have no patience with kids - despite being in a Tribeca neighborhood where every other restaurant is falling all over themselves to cater to them. We don't have kids, so it was not ours. Food is not worth a special trip, but it's okay.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was there Saturday night, at 7:45, table for 2.

Drinks:

- I ordered a Yuzu Margarita ($14)and it was really delicate yet flavorful, not too sweet, with a little zesty aftertaste. Delicious.
- I had a nice surprise when I checked-in with Yelp: a complementary Asahi beer!

Food:

Neither my wife nor I are huge fan of Rama, so we decided to go tapa style and order a number of appetizers to share. We had:

- Manila Clams Garlic ($12): Nice and light clams in a thin delicate broth, served with two crostini made out of perfectly toasted slices of baguette

- Gyozas: Nice and crispy on the outside and moist and tasty on the inside.

- Kobe Beef Steamed Buns ($12): The Japanese take on the american classic mini hamburger, with a Japanese steamed bun and a juicy delicious Kobe mini patty

- Short Ribs Steamed Buns ($10): Another Japanese revision (Zutto is a Japanese American pub, after all!) of another classic american dish: BBQ short ribs. Here, again, wrapped in the usual Japanese steamed bun. The ribs tasted really good too, with a perfect moist, tender texture and flavorful taste.

- Short Ribs Steamed Buns ($10): This is not a typo. I liked them so much the first time that I had another order of these.

- Dessert: The dessert was really good too, although I don't quite remember the name. It was served with a delicious green tea ice cream and, the combination of flavors was balanced and not too sweet.

Service:

At the beginning the place was half empty and everything was fine and smooth.
When it got crowded the service started to be a little spotty. That may be due to the fact that we ordered our food in three separate rounds, or to the fact that they were not well organized in the kitchen, I believe.
The big disappointment came when it was time to order our dessert and the waitress told me ti would take 30 minutes because the kitchen was busy.
Fortunately, the manager caught me while I was complaining about that and 5 minutes late dessert was served.

Ambiance:

The restaurant is spacious and has a feeling of an outdoor market, with an unpolished big hardwood table and benches in the middle of the room and paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling. I definitely like the style.

Overall, I recommend this place, even though the service was not perfect and the food a little pricey.

1  Thank Simone C
Reviewed August 26, 2012

After drinks at nearby Terroir, we went wandering in search of dinner. Didn't have to go far to find this gem that fulfilled our group's cravings. Drinks, sushi, Kobe steamed buns, ramen... The great food, fun atmosphere, terrific service means we will be back soon!