“Lost Its Charm”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park and Broadway
Transit: 6, N/R trains to 23rd Street
Description: Owner Avtar Walia and Executive Chef Raji have come together to open an elegant and modern Indian restaurant with dishes not seen at other Indian restaurants. Children Facilities - No (High Chair or booster seat not available, Strollers must be checked in)
Phoenix, Arizona
“Lost Its Charm”
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

This was our third visit to Tamarind but the first to its new location. We loved the charm of the old location. The seating was intimate and the naan oven was a prominent fixture. Not anymore. Lots of hard surfaces and shine. The two levels reminded me of a department store. Our meal was average. The wait staff seemed pushy as if they needed to sell food to pay the rent. At one point we ordered plain rice with our meal. I distinctly remember the waiter saying I will order you the rice. What he brought was the upgraded $19 a bowl rice. My lamb curry was good but not wonderful. The big hunks of meat were covered with brown sauce. I immediately wished I had ordered the goat. My husband's chicken was too big for one person. Had we been thinking and guided properly by the wait staff, our table of 4 should have shared 2 or 3 dishes. Instead, we fell for the sales pitch. Should I mention the pitch for dessert, which we declined? It was a classic sales pitch, " even if it was free you wouldn't want dessert?". I yearn for the old Tamarind with its charm.

Visited August 2014

• Arabic first
Harlow, Essex
“The most fantastic meal”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

A most fantastic meal. The lamb was to die for, and the other meals were excellent. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Service was excellent. A great place to have a meal.i would definately return, if I lived nearer.

• Visited August 2014
United States
“Food and discrimination”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

The food is far from authentic Indian. I have had better Indian food in many other places. But the worst part that I noticed is that if you are an ethnic Indian with brown skin colour, you can expect to be seated far back and on the top floor. (As if they want to hide them) The attitude is openly discriminatory. I noticed this with many groups when I went to dine there.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank WorldtravellerKNH
Los Angeles, California
“high end but still authentic”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Some cuisines are hard to make "fancy" and I've always thought Indian was one of those. But Tamarind shows that you can mix haute and "hot." Of course , there is high end service, and a great wine and cocktaik list, but what I really noticed was the quality of the ingredients- the shrimp were the great, the lamb was that top quality lamb you rarely find, etc. highly recommended.

• Visited March 2014
juiz de fora
“indian at it best”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

if you like spice food, go quickly to tamarind. everything there is great. atmosphere, staff and specially food. try their gulab jamun

Visited September 2013