“high end but still authentic”
Review of Tamarind - CLOSED

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park and Broadway
Transit: 6, N/R trains to 23rd Street
Description: Owner Avtar Walia and Executive Chef Raji have come together to open an elegant and modern Indian restaurant with dishes not seen at other Indian restaurants. Children Facilities - No (High Chair or booster seat not available, Strollers must be checked in)
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Some cuisines are hard to make "fancy" and I've always thought Indian was one of those. But Tamarind shows that you can mix haute and "hot." Of course , there is high end service, and a great wine and cocktaik list, but what I really noticed was the quality of the ingredients- the shrimp were the great, the lamb was that top quality lamb you rarely find, etc. highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Tamarind

Reviewed June 29, 2014

if you like spice food, go quickly to tamarind. everything there is great. atmosphere, staff and specially food. try their gulab jamun

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Not finding a suitable place to eat in the Chinese Quarter my wife and I headed on foot to the highly recommended Tamarind restaurant at 99 Hudson Street and Franklin (New York) for an Indian meal.
By the time we arrived it was mid-afternoon, so we were more than ready to eat. The restaurant looked new, large, sophisticated, and had plenty of available tables. Hungrily we stood just inside the door waiting to be shown to a table. Some distance away, a man indicated behind us to our right - just out of our peripheral vision a young lady receptionist was looking smilingly at us but we wondered why she hadn't made herself known. This lady informed us that the kitchen was closed, we were too late for lunch but too early for dinner, although she could offer us an afternoon cold tea. We were disappointed, but decided to accept the offer so were shown to a table.
We chose something from the menu, which was served warm rather than cold, but was of really good quality - so we were pleased. The waiter was quite surly, appearing to be in bad humour, so might have been involved in the shouting match we heard coming from the kitchen. When we asked this waiter if we could see the menu again, we were told once more that the kitchen was closed. On querying whether we could have a desert and a coffee, seemingly reluctantly, he brought us a menu.
The area of the restaurant in which we had been seated was now devoid of other customers. We asked for the bill, which with drinks came to $74.58. I paid with a $100 note and received back one $10 and one $5 note, no coins. Not realising at the time that I had been short changed by $10+, I left the $10 note as a gratuity.
On our way out of the restaurant I gave a cheery goodbye to the waiter's backside, and received a grunted acknowledgement. Only on our way back to the hotel, thinking about our experience, did I realise that the meal had cost me more than I thought.
In summary then, a very nice Indian restaurant with excellent facilities and great food - it's a shame about the service. If you go, I hope you have a better experience than we did, and remember to check your change.

3  Thank HelenaD_10
Reviewed April 24, 2014

There are not many Michelin restaurants in this country, however Tamarind, located in the Tribeca area of NYC, is one of them. Not only is the food excellent, the portions are quite large. The service, décor, price, is very reasonable. It is by far the best Indian restaurant I have ever eaten at. Go hungry, and prepare yourself for a feast. Even though it is a large restaurant, you should make reservations, and ask to be seated near the glass enclosed kitchen.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The most expensive Indian restaurant in NY - but the food was very average. The restaurant is spacious, tables are not intimidatingly close to each other. Decor and cleanliness are good. I was surprised that this was the 'best' Indian fare that New York could offer! I was expecting the culinary standards offered in the best restaurants in London or even at Rasika in Washington DC - but the flavors were hidden by overuse of chillies. Lamb shank, presented very unaesthetically, was smothered in masala sauce. Biryani was disappointing. Even the vegetarian fare was unexciting. Saving grace of the evening was the rice kheer and carrot halwa. Would not go there again - for the price.