“Absolutely Fabulous”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park and Broadway
Transit: 6, N/R trains to 23rd Street
Description: Owner Avtar Walia and Executive Chef Raji have come together to open an elegant and modern Indian restaurant with dishes not seen at other Indian restaurants. Children Facilities - No (High Chair or booster seat not available, Strollers must be checked in)
Dallas, Texas
“Absolutely Fabulous”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We loved this place. We arrived cold and hungry about 5 p.m. after a full day of shopping in windy mid-40 degree temperatures. We were seated in the extra dining room one door down because we didn't have reservations (or perhaps we looked a bit worse for wear from the day), which wasn't exactly my first choice. That being said, it was wonderful. The soft lighting, with the candles gave the room a nice amber glow, which was lovely to take in over a cocktail. The waiter was a professional and we appreciated his attentive, high level service. He recommended the cauliflower appetizer and it was every bit as good as advertised. I had the Tikka Masala (unadventurous, I know, but I couldn't resist...), Mr. SP had Masaledar Boti Kabab--both were terrific. We capped off the evening with one very luscious rice pudding. A really nice experience that we hope to duplicate on our next trip.

• Visited November 2013

• Arabic first
San Francisco, California
“Average & Overpriced...”
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

We weren't impressed. Perhaps because this place came recommended and our expectations were higher than they could deliver. Or it could be that we were there with kids and their guest profile seemed like the business entertaining kind. Either way, the food was middle of the line over-priced Indian food any way you look at it...and the server looked like he was doing us a favor serving us. We were celebrating a birthday in the family and this experience left us with a bad taste in the mouth...

Visited November 2013
Bangalore
“Amazing Indian Food in Big Apple”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

During my last visit to NYC in the month of May 2013, I happened to visit this place in the evening for a dinner but it was closing time, so I had to rush up for my orders. But I was very impressed with the food that was served. So I decided to visit it again. I revisited this place on a weekend and found the hotel to be very crowded. I had not reserved our table and was told that the wait time would be around 45 minutes, but I was lucky to get the table within 15 minutes. The service was ultimate and the staff paid minute attention to your orders with great smiles on their faces. The food served during this visit was so awesome and exceptional. Honestly, I had not experienced this kind of indian food in USA. Don't miss this place while in Chicago if you happen to be indian food fan.

• Visited May 2013
Edina
“Not all Tamarinds are the same”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

One of the best Indian meals I ever had was at the Tribeca location of this restaurant a couple of years ago - so I was excited when my friends wanted to take me to this one.

We met right after work. My friend takes her little dog to work every day in a sort of aerated duffle bag; most people never even know she is there. We had a reservation and were seated only 10 minutes late - not bad for New York!

We had our menus and were ready to order drinks when the maitre d' came over and objected to my friend's dog in the bag. He said other diners were complaining about the smell!

This dog does not smell at all, nor does he make a sound, just kind of zones out in his bag. I have been to restaurants and bars with him before and know my friend does this countless times.

We asked to speak to the manager but the maitre d' said he was the manager. Clearly, he was not. We left.

I'll go back to the Tribeca Tamarind in a hearbeat, but not to 22nd Street till they upgrade their staff.

• Visited October 2013
Herzliya, Israel
“Tamarind, NY”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This undoubtedly is one of the best Indian restaurants anywhere: the food is prepared meticulously. Some concessions to western taste are obvious, but that does not detract from the excellence. Service is smooth and polite and the ambience pleasant. It is hard to find anything at that level in New York for such a reasonable price.

• Visited October 2013