“If this place can leave my kids loving okra, you know it's amazing!!”
Review of Tamarind - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park and Broadway
Transit: 6, N/R trains to 23rd Street
Description: Owner Avtar Walia and Executive Chef Raji have come together to open an elegant and modern Indian restaurant with dishes not seen at other Indian restaurants. Children Facilities - No (High Chair or booster seat not available, Strollers must be checked in)
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is the third time we have dined at Tamarind--twice at the 22nd St. location--definitely better food. Unlike many of the Indian restaurants we have enjoyed in the past, Tamarind is in the caliber of fine dining. Beautiful, quiet and upscale dining room with amazing food.

We chose a number of dishes to share but by far, the okra was the best received. My teens loved it and if no one were looking, they probably would have licked the plate clean. The choices from the tandoor were fantastic. There was a particular shrimp dish (cannot remember the name!) but it was lovely, numerous large shrimp (not prawns, though) and great to share. Naan was NOT burned as one previous reviewer mentioned. It came hot and fresh.

The service was fine--our particular server was not spontaneous but had great suggestions when asked. I don't know who the "guards" are but there were two gentlemen standing in the dining room and making certain everything ran smoothly. They were a little stern looking, so perhaps the servers are afraid of them. The busboys were on top of everything--especially when it came to refiling the water glasses.

All in all, we will be back and are already planning to dine there during our winter trip to NYC. You MUST try this place.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had heard of this place for years but when someone suggested it for lunch I finally got to go.
Attractive! And for the next three weeks, it has a Restaurant Week promotion- lavish lunch for $25. Dinner probably about $10 more. Right near the 23rd St. stop on the 6 subway. On 22nd West of Park Ave. South.

First course, you can taste two entrees, they bring rice/veg/bread and a dessert course. The desserts are eminiently skippable. The main courses are sublime. Right size portions.

As good as you'll get in NY.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

When my family is in the mood for Indian food, in an elegant setting with good service and a decent wine list, we come to Tamarind on 22nd Street. We have eaten In their newer branch, Tamarind TriBeCa, but the food is better in the 22nd Street location. If you are a party of four, ask for one of the booths that line the side of the restaurant when you call for a reservation or reserve on Opentable. The booths are quiet and elevated. This is not a good place for large parties. About 10 women from a bridal shower were seated around a table next to ours. I was with a party of five people and our table size was the same. The women were sitting shoulder to shoulder.

The food is consistently good. For appetizers we usually order the Aloo tikkiya and Bhel poori - perfect each time. If you can handle spicy food, try the chicken murg. My daughters enjoyed the chicken tikka masala. I had the lobster masala - all tasty and slightly spicy. The breads - oh my the breads. Love the tandoor paratha and the garlic and rosemary nan.

This is not a family friendly restaurant. They always ask if there are any children in your party when you make a reservation. I don't recall ever seeing young children in the restaurant.

The Tamarind is several cuts above your local Indian restaurant (the Baluchi chain for example). The prices are vey reasonable for what is close to fine dining.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

So many times, when I have Indian, it is very casual. This is an upscale place, with great food, service and a wine list to pair with dinner.

Our waiter (dean) was fantastic - great food recommendations and attentive service from him and the staff. For the quality food and service, and being in manhattan, it is actually a great bargain for a real dining experience.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Food - Below average. Service - OK. Manager / Sommelier - Sucks.

We had booked on my brother's wedding night. We were a party of seven including a pregnant lady. We failed to mention that but I suppose they should have some common sense when they see her to seat her at ground level and near the rest rooms. Instead they gave us a table on the first floor near the service entrance.

The food we ordered were all below average. Nowhere close to the quality you will expect in a highly acclaimed restaurant. I seriously doubt if reviewers who rate the food high are Indians or knowledgable on Indian food. The Kulfi ice cream had lot of ice crystals, the ocra fry very sticky and cold, the naans charred on one side and half baked at some places.

The service was ok. But when we ordered a bottle of wine and it tasted very sour, we had to discuss it for a long time with the waiter and then later the manager or sommelier who came and started advising one of us, who is experienced with wines, instead of just changing the bottle. This guy also later tried to make up unprofessionally for it by saying he tasted it and indeed it was sour, we were right and he would have done more had he been told it was a wedding party - which we clearly mentioned when we reserved. We pointed it out and he seemed to joke, we should have asked for him and said that. Seemed very artificial, actually the statement very stupid to me and gave us a bad feeling.

1  Thank Kandravi