“Indian fusion's finest”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park and Broadway
Transit: 6, N/R trains to 23rd Street
Description: Owner Avtar Walia and Executive Chef Raji have come together to open an elegant and modern Indian restaurant with dishes not seen at other Indian restaurants. Children Facilities - No (High Chair or booster seat not available, Strollers must be checked in)
Reviewed March 15, 2013

A sleek and modern Indian restaurant with dishes not seen at other Indian restaurants. The seafood dishes are great. Try the shrimp and scallop appetizers and the lobster entree. You also can't go wrong with the chicken dishes, so many to choose from. If you cant handle spice, make sure you ask for their milder recommendations. Their cocktail selection is also great, innovative. You'll be spending some cash so make sure your company is worth it.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband surprised me with a weekend getaway in New York City and we had a fabulous meal at Tamarind on that Saturday night. The atmosphere is elegant without being overbearing, the wait staff was engaging and attentive to our every request and the food was absolutely divine. We asked our waiter if we could have a small bowl of dal maknani which is apparently slow roasted over a twenty four hour period. The moment I took my first bite I was convinced that I could taste the pride and love that went into preparing it, much like an old beloved family meal like "Sunday sauce" in my own Italian family. This restaraunt was so exceptional that I asked my daughter if she would like to celebrate her sixteenth birthday there and she agreed which is a giant win for me too!!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had the great pleasure of dining at Tamarind in New York City on a family vacation last summer and I am pleased to offer this wonderful establishment my highest commendation. Most of the Indian restaurants that I have been to in my hometown of Toronto are located in unassuming commercial spaces and they're not widely known among area residents except for people in the local communities where they operate. So to that end, Tamarind was very new to me as I had never heard of it before, but little did I know that this place would stand out as a sparkling jewel in a city with a vast and multicultural dining scene where residents and tourists alike are figuratively and literally spoilt for choice.

The restaurant must I say was breathtaking. The esquisitely appointed surroundings would make one feel as though they're in a fine dining establishment. The staff at Tamarind clearly take a lot of pride in what they do and it clearly shows. I also must say that they are very well informed on food and wine knowledge. The level on which they spoke of it when assisting my family and I on our food and drink selections truly impressed me. The style of service that was offered throughout our meal was unobtrusive, quiet and exquisite in all aspects.

If you love great food and fine wine and if you enjoy being spoiled by service staff that will go far above and beyond in satisfying your every whim, this place really is for you

Reviewed March 10, 2013

While visiting our daughter in New York we ate there on two occasions.
We loved the food so much on our first visit, that we decided to go again before returning to the UK.
The service and food is outstanding. The restaurant and bar modern and spacious. There is a hum to the atmosphere. All other guest seem very happy with their food, smiles, laughter and quiet conversations. A sign of a good restaurant.
I would love to go more often to try all of the food on the menu.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Tamarind might be a little off the beaten path for out of towners used to the Indian restaurants in midtown Manhattan. The food at Tamarind is, however, worth the trek down to East 22nd Street in the Flat Iron District. The large,varied menu features well executed dishes, using quality ingredients, for every taste and fancy. The nan with onions is scrumptious! The noise level can be distracting for those who enjoy conversation while dining Ask for a quiet table in one of the alcoves along the wall. We had drinks at the bar while others finished their meal and the table was prepared. Our dining experience was well worth the wait. The food was delicious!