“Another Living Social pleasant surprise”
Review of La Paella - CLOSED

La Paella
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenue
Transit: Take 6 train to Astor place or N & R train to NYU 8th street.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were the only ones in today for lunch.

Good shrimp; calamari; skewered chicken and shrimp and Sangria.

The green beans were very good.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Bought a $50 Living Social coupon and tried out La Paella for lunch. On balance, thought the food was overpriced and meh... for dishes of rather small portions, plebian flavor and presentation. Even if they are called Spanish tapas.

It started off well. La Paella is a casual, charming little place with exposed beams, terra-cotta tiles on the floor, walls that open out to the sidewalk in good weather. Service was friendly and professional. The waiter immediately brought us water, slices of lemon (on request), a basket of warm, toasted slices of bread, and a little cup of butter. We ordered off the regular menu since the coupon could not be used on lunch specials, and tried six tapas.

The quality of the tapas was very mixed. The lamb & sausage skewers (Pinchos de Cordero y Salchicha) were delicious, and flavorful, the chorizos providing a satisfying snap when bitten; the Serrano ham(Jamon de Serrano) arrived in a pile on a plate, topped by six tiny, dry white triangles of bread - no garnish, nothing to provide visual or flavor contrast; the clams in white wine and garlic sauce (Almejas en Salsa Blanca) were crammed into a small bowl with the rather salty, otherwise unmemorable, sauce pooled at the bottom; the stuffed squash with vegetables and almond sauce (calabacines rellenos) was tasty although the stuffing was mushy and the sauce overly sweet, almost candy-like; and the shrimp in garlic sauce (Gambas al Ajillo) featured five shrimp were so tiny they seemed lost in the dish. The flavors in the sauce seemed out of balance - nice and garlicky, but too salty and lemony.

For dessert, we ordered and shared a flan (Crema Catalana). It was delicious, albeit expensive at $8.50.

1  Thank bluenote18
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Went with some friends for some Spanish tapas. Place was packed but we managed to get a table. It had good ambiance if a bit crowded. The tapas we had were a little too oily for my taste and the paella was >$30 for 2 persons. Between the 4 of us we spent around $100 for the meal. Overall an interesting experience but not planning to go back anytime soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was actually pretty surprised after reading the reviews here. I though La Paella was very charming and the food was excellent. I would definitely recommend a pitcher of sangria, which was also delicious. We went on Friday night and the place was packed. We had tapas and the prices were a bit higher than other places (outside of NYC) that we had, but not by much. Around 8.50 - 14 per plate. I would recommend it highly for a special occasion.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Dined here with my partner on a Sunday night at the end of May. Only upstairs was open (there is a downstairs area which was closed).
It is BYOB for wine on a Sunday so we picked up a bottle in a liquor store and just had food in the restaurant. The waiter seemed slightly surprised when we produced our own bottle of wine, but otherwise there was no issue with this.
We had one tapas for starter - ham & cheese croquettes priced at nearly $9. I thought the portion was very mean when 3 small ham croquettes arrived in a cheese sauce. They tasted fine,but nothing special
For main, I had a chicken dish with rice which was quite nice but needed more rice. Luckily my partner had paella so I could steal some of his :)!! He is a big paella fan, and thoroughly enjoyed his main.
Overall, decent food in an unpretentious restaurant on the edge of the village, which is good value when it is BYOB - I think we paid about $40 plus tip for the food, bringing our own bottle of wine