“Overpriced, mediocre food; rude service”
Review of Arezzo - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Reviewed March 11, 2007

There are so many other restaurants in NYC and in the area that I really don't see why anyone would want to go to Arezzo - very mediocre and bland food, way overpriced for what it is, and our waiter was quite impatient and kind of rude. Not really aweful, but we will never come back again.

Reviewed January 19, 2007

Just got home from an evening at this very nice Italian restaurant. The owner is from Piemonte, and uses ingredients typical of the region.

The dining room is nicely lit; tables are a good distance apart - it does not feel crowded; decor is low-key and unobtrusive. The maitre d' was a little snotty when it came to seating us - we asked to move to a more intimate corner, and he refused our request. That table remained empty until we departed. However, the waiter and other staff were gracious and professional.

Noise level was bearable. I was actually able to converse without straining the entire evening.

Salads and soup were beautifully presented, tasty, and ample. The pasta dishes were real comfort food. I had the green pea cavatelli with sausage (their signature dish), which was outstanding! Dessert, a flourless chocolate cake, was dense and delicious. The decaf tasted as good as regular (let's see if I sleep tonight).

Highly recommended and convenient to Chelsea, Fifth Avenue, Path Train.

2  Thank ExpertTripPlanner
Reviewed December 18, 2005

What a shame. Six of us had a fabulous dinner on 16 December. Dishes were well-prepared and prices were reasonable. They offered a long wine list with an emphasis on "boutique vineyard" local Italian wines. I selected an inexpensive $39 bottle of Barbera by a vineyard whose name I could not pronounce, so I ordered by bin number (#221). That turned out to be a big mistake. If you must order by bin number, be sure to write all the information (vineyard, vintage, any special reserve info) on a piece of paper. Show it to the server and KEEP THE PIECE OF PAPER. I did not follow my own rule last week.

When the bottle was presented before serving, I confirmed that it was a Barbera and that the vintage was correct. It was a very nice wine. It should have been. The $39 bottle turned into an $84 bottle of Barbera from a slightly different vineyard. Unfortunately, we consumed 3 bottles.

This is probably the oldest switcheroo in the restaurant business. If you approve the bottle, you taste it, they serve it, and you order more of it, you bought all of it.

I would award the benefit of a doubt to the restaurant, but have seen this done before, usually to a tourist (like me) in ethic restaurants where the wine menu requires a Berlitz to translate. The tip-off in this case was the fact that our server disappeared after the check was presented never to return. (Sometimes the upgrade is split between the waiter and maitre d'.) Second tip-off, before the check arrived, the maitre d' provided complimentary after dinner drinks - anything we wanted including cognac. (In New York City nothing is free.)

3  Thank Vistar