“Excellent evening”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Some friends and I are going to Tibet this fall, so while I was in New York, we went to Tsampa. The food was incredibly good. I just hope it's as good in Tibet!! We had several appetizers and entrees, sharing them with each other. We liked everything except the Tibetan tea, which must be an acquired taste -- tea, butter and salt. Oh, well, the food was delicious, which is the point of eating out. Quiet, nice ambience, attentive staff. A great evening with friends.

2  Thank Bookworm46

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Yummy chai, fresh juice, dumplings, sweet and sour salmon... candles, quiet. Was totally empty one day and Uma Thurman sat right next to me with her kids!! Chic but low key... my refuge in NYC to sit and regroup for a bit with warm and nurturing food in a quiet, refined space. Om Mani Padme Om!

1  Thank TruthRadiates
Reviewed May 25, 2012

My veggie momos were succulent and tasty, good lentil soup, and hard-to-find authentic Tibetan butter tea--yum. My dining companions enjoyed their dishes: chicken momo and shrimp curry. Lovely atmosphere with Tibetan art and carpets, a bit dark, but pleasant. Nice place for a different dining experience when near Cooper Union in the E. Village.

1  Thank Meyshe
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My siblings & I had originally planned to have yakiniku next door, but the place was packed, so we ended up here instead. Good thing because we enjoyed the whole experience. The restaurant had great ambience with the relaxed atmosphere from the dim lighting, Tibetan decor and music. The servers were friendly and attentive. We ordered the khampa momo, spicy chicken, phing sha, gyathuk ngopa and bocha. They were all delicious! I would definitely go back.

1  Thank 211sear
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This was the fourth time I'd been to Tsampa over about three years and each and every time I've been there it has been excellent. The service is efficient and quick, the decor is nice, but the food's the real star. The lhasa momo is particularly good as are pretty much all the main entrees. My favorite is the chicken with baked noodles. The flavors are surprisingly complex in just about everything even though it tastes in some ways quite rustic and homestyle. The prices are also very good.

1  Thank Pablo B