“Not up to the hype”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park Avenue & Broadway
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R or L to 14th Street Union Square or 6 to 23rd Street at Park Avenue
Description: One of America’s most beloved restaurants, Gramercy Tavern has welcomed guests for close to three decades to enjoy seasonal American cuisine, warm hospitality and unparalleled service. The restaurant is perennially ranked at the top of Zagat Survey’s ‘Most Popular’ list, and has garnered eight James Beard Awards including ‘Outstanding Restaurant’ and ‘Best Chef: NYC’. Chef Michael Anthony’s highly seasonal menu consists of elegant dishes with a rustic influence that showcase the restaurant’s relationships with local farms and purveyors. The Main Dining Room serves seasonal menus starting at $165 for dinner and a $72, three-course lunch prix fixe menu. Reservations are accepted 28 days in advance. The more casual Tavern serves an a la carte menu centered around the wood burning grill, available for reservations, though walk-ins are accepted. The restaurant also features an acclaimed wine list, and thoughtfully selected beer and cocktail offerings.
Reviewed September 3, 2016

Been here 2 years ago. Really enjoyed it then. Came with my husband tonight, and we were both disappointed with service, and food value for price. We are foodies, and although we loved the food, the other all price is not worth it. Beside the very busy atmosphere, meaning loud, and buzzy, it was not was I expected. I found that annoying as well, With all the restaurants in NYC, I with we had picked another.

2  Thank Judy M

Reviewed September 3, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I came here and had the 3 course meal. They also had a 6 course - one for protein lovers and one for vegetarians. We got to choose our courses and of course we were asked a numerous amount of times if we had allergies. My wife asked for the chicken without bacon. We got out meals and started eating. Halfway through she noticed a piece of meat so I tried it and it was bacon. So we let our waitress know and she immediately told the manager. After numerous apologies we continued our meal and the rest of the evening was superb. I recommend the cookies for dessert.

At the end of the night, the manager, Erik, took off one of the three course meals for the mistake. We appreciated everything he did to make up for it and we will definitely let him know the next time we want to come back.

Overall, excellent service, good food and they even were able to change our reservation to a day earlier on short notice.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed September 3, 2016

The food is excellent. We had the six course tasting menu and every dish was good. The halibut was particularly outstanding. I was really impressed with the service. One person at our table broke a glass, and immediately someone came to replace it. They also quickly replaced the dish closet to the glass where it was broken, and offered to replace all the dishes on the table suspected to have any possibility of broken glass. They handled it wonderfully.

2  Thank goodgenes5
Reviewed September 1, 2016 via mobile

This meal was epic! The tasting menu with wine was a culinary event!! Service was perfect. They have a great wine list. Beautiful restaurant.

Reviewed September 1, 2016

We first visited the Gramercy Tavern Dining Room 5 years ago and were so impressed that we promised ourselves we would return. Well yes, 5 years is a long time but trust me this Restaurant certainly did not disappoint second time round.

My husband booked online a month before to ensure we would not miss out on this gem of an establishment and so, on our second last evening in New York we returned.

We arrived and our reservation, 19.45 was confirmed, and after a couple of minutes we were escorted through to the dining room and seated at our table. We perused and discussed the various dishes listed before deciding on the Seasonal Tasting Menu.

Fine dining is really our thing and when the opportunity arises we often opt for the Tasting Menu with the Paired Wines, and when the waiter returned we informed him of our decision.

Our dinner request was noted and before leaving he checked whether we had any allergies or special dietary requests. I advised I had a nut allergy and he reassured me that the hazelnuts on the Pole Bean Salad would be left off my dish and he would inform the kitchen accordingly.

After a short time the Sommelier attended and introduced herself and talked us through the pairing menu prior to our food and drink being served.

At the start of each course she presented the wine bottle and explained why that particular wine had been chosen and how it would compliment and enhance the flavours of the dish.

There was no faulting each course which was beautifully presented and delish .....
Marinated scallops;
Halibut;
Warm Lobster Salad;
Pole Bean Salad, Plums, Burrata and Hazelnuts
Pork Loin and Belly
Desert was listed as Peach Rice Pudding, Saffron, Huckleberries and Wild Mint
..... However, we were told we could, if we preferred have ....
Chocolate Apricot Cake, Wild Rose, Fudge Sauce and Stracciatella Ice Cream
... to which we both said ... yes please!

The stand out dish for me was the Halibut ... it was simple but amazing; and so we concluded this culinary feast with coffee.

The staff were attentive, friendly, helpful, engaging and oh so professional, the atmosphere here is relaxed and there was a lovely buzz around the dining room. I could not fault this restaurant, its staff, or the delicious food we were served.

Would I return? .... in a heartbeat!

Would I recommend you give it a try? .... If you enjoy fine dining, then this is the place for you ... and I guarantee the Gramercy Tavern, its ambience, staff and great food will not disappoint.

1  Thank fussyflora