“Wonderful from start to finish”
Review of Gramercy Tavern

Gramercy Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Gramercy Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 14,430 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park Avenue & Broadway
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R or L to 14th Street Union Square or 6 to 23rd Street at Park Avenue
Description: One of America’s most beloved restaurants, Gramercy Tavern has welcomed guests for close to two decades to enjoy seasonal American cuisine, warm hospitality and unparalleled service. The restaurant is perennially ranked at the top of Zagat Survey’s ‘Most Popular’ list, and has garnered eight James Beard Awards including ‘Outstanding Restaurant’ and ‘Best Chef: NYC’. Chef Michael Anthony’s highly seasonal menu consists of elegant dishes with a rustic influence that showcase the restaurant’s relationships with local farms and purveyors. The Main Dining Room serves prix-fixe menus starting at $92 for dinner and an a la carte menu for lunch, and accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The more casual Tavern serves an a la carte menu centered around the wood burning grill, and welcomes guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant also features an acclaimed wine list, and thoughtfully selected beer and cocktail offerings.
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We got lucky and managed book on a very busy Saturday evening, it was my husband's birthday so we wanted it to be special and we weren't disappointed. Our table was for 10.00pm. We went through to the bar area which was packed, the atmosphere was great, very buzzy. We started with cocktails, a Slow Storm , went down well and pursued the menu while our table was readied. We decided on the tasting menu and weren't disappointed by any of the courses, all were excellent, cooked to perfection, as was the very attentive service from the highly efficient staff. We had a great evening, I would recommend The Gramercy to everyone, I wish I lived nearer and could visit again. It was a very special last night and a brilliant end to a great trip to New York.

2  Thank melh13
Write a ReviewReviews (3,289)

Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Had two delicious appetizer dishes, I posted their photo... The duck dish though was raw and I'm not into raw food. I asked for it to be well done, the waitress said sure but then it came raw. Maybe a duck would dry if cooked well done, but I would have appreciated if the waitress told me so, at least I would have changed my order.

We can't eat food cooked with alcohol and most of the dessert that seemed delicious had alcohol in it. So I settled for a dessert that I didn't enjoy much.

Overall, ambience, food & staff were good, I would go back again and try the tasting menu.

1  Thank dmalmulla
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Went here to celebrate my birthday. This is my favorite restaurant in NYC. I visit just one time per year. Nice and warm place. Love sitting next to the kitchen fireplace and watching all the steps of the chef cooking. Good food. Good people working there. We'll see you soon.

4  Thank FernThai
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I got the cookbook for Christmas and have enjoyed it very much. My wife and I tried the real thing and, unsurprisingly, they executed everything better than I do.
The dining room is tight, but not horribly so. The service was efficient, friendly, and attentive. The food (seasonal tasting menu) was fantastic - with one notable exception. The last savory course was braised wagyu with charred onion and turnips. The broth and accompaniments were great, but the beef was tough, fibrous, and flavorless - just the opposite of what was expected. That was a dull note in an otherwise sharp performance. The lobster salad was so good I was tempted to pick up the bowl and lick it. The halibut was cooked to perfection. The dessert was - thankfully - heavy on flavors while not being overly sweet.
Will be happy to return again soon.

3  Thank ggw33
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Our friends' recommendations and other reviewers suggested that this is truly an excellent restaurant. We expected a lot. We were NOT disappointed! The cocktails, meal, wines, and service were all superior. My husband and I both had the three-course fixed price meal. There is a lot to choose from. I had smoked trout for the first course and lamb prepared three ways for the main course. All were delicious. We asked the waiter to suggest wine pairings for us, and he did a great job. It was truly a memorable meal in a relaxed, unpretentious environment. It is not a cheap evening but it is worth it. It simply could not have been any better.

1  Thank CarolynP598