“Just about excellent” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gramercy Tavern

Gramercy Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Gramercy Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 13,478 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park Avenue & Broadway
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R or L to 14th Street Union Square or 6 to 23rd Street at Park Avenue
Description: One of America’s most beloved restaurants, Gramercy Tavern has welcomed guests for close to two decades to enjoy seasonal American cuisine, warm hospitality and unparalleled service. The restaurant is perennially ranked at the top of Zagat Survey’s ‘Most Popular’ list, and has garnered eight James Beard Awards including ‘Outstanding Restaurant’ and ‘Best Chef: NYC’. Chef Michael Anthony’s highly seasonal menu consists of elegant dishes with a rustic influence that showcase the restaurant’s relationships with local farms and purveyors. The Main Dining Room serves prix-fixe menus starting at $92 for dinner and an a la carte menu for lunch, and accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The more casual Tavern serves an a la carte menu centered around the wood burning grill, and welcomes guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant also features an acclaimed wine list, and thoughtfully selected beer and cocktail offerings.
Sewickley, PA
“Just about excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

I was here for lunch today with a friend, at his suggestion. He praised their wine list, and with good reason. My friend was a bit delayed so I ordered one of their fall ciders: hot, with a shot of rum and two slices of apple - supposedly the apple variety from which the cider was made. While I mulled over that (sorry) I had time to study the wine list: fairly comprehensive, good selection. Since their menu had a seasonal bent towards spicy, meaty selections, I paid close attention to their Rieslings. The sommelier obviously knew his Germans because they were really good selections, especially from the Mosel and it's tributaries. I debated between a 2010 Grunhaus Abtsberg and a 2011 Graacher Domprobst Kabinett from Schaefer, choosing the latter because the alcohol was only 8.5% vs 11% for the former. I just have a problem with higher alcohol (above 9.5%) Germans because I think it diminishes the whole experience. The wine was paired with kielbasa, sauerkraut and spatzele, which turned out to be excellent as the freshness of the wine cut the fattiness of the sausage. I was hesitant to rate the place as excellent on the basis of one visit, but think the above plus really professional service may have been enough to do so. We ate in the non-reservation bar area, albeit at a table; there is a nicer dining room in the back of the restaurant which would be better at night as well as a bit quieter. To coin a phrase, "I shall return!"

Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Irvine, CA
“Great place to stop for a leisurely lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We ate at the tavern at Gramercy Tavern on a recent visit to New York. Our experience was very positive. The food was well prepared and beautifully presented. Our table was near the final food-prep area, so I was able to observe the care they take with presentation. I had a seafood chowder and my companion had fish. I began my meal with beet salad.

The space is small, so expect a wait even in the middle of the afternoon. Tables are also close together and the bar area can get quite crowded with people waiting for tables.

Service was very professional.

Houston, Texas
“Delicious, Cozy, Perfect NYC atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We came for lunch on a Sunday. We ended up getting 2 seats at the bar which was fine by us. We ordered an appetizer of roasted beets which was wonderful. I got the bass and my husband got an off the menu item...THE BURGER. They grind there own meat in house. The burger was perfect. If you want it, go there early because they do run out. They have a slow drip iced coffee that is so good. We shared that with the apple crisp for two which was the perfect fall dessert. I believe on Sunday's it is first come first serve. We got there about 12:45pm and only waited 20 minutes. Nothing a couple mimosas couldn't fix.

2 Thank A P
Richmond, Virginia
“Finally made it after all these years and it was worth the wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have been trying to get a reservation for years (when traveling to NYC). You can only make reservations 28 days in advance. The meal was great, the service was fantastic. You felt like there was no rush and that whatever you needed was fine. I had a hard time finding a cider I liked and the waiter must have brought out 3 or 4 for me to try. A nice touch was the way the food was presented. They don't use trays. They have several waiters bring out the course to the table all at once so that each person gets their plate at the same time. The smoked duck, brussel sprout, pasta, and hazelnut first course was amazing. I could have eaten 4 bowls of that alone. There was a pre-dessert, a dessert, bonbons, and a muffin to take home. The decor is beautiful and the staff just plain nice. I would definitely come back.

New York, NY
“One of the best restaurants in New York City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

No need to get into the details but this is the best restaurant in New York City and has been for years. It's great for an upscale business dinner or small family gathering. Excellent chef and wine selection. In recent years, it's become a place to see and be seen, and you'll need to think ahead to get a reservation. In lieu of that, you can usually swing by and put your name on the list for bar seating which is also nice, but not as upscale as the dining rooms.

• Visited December 2012