“Still Superb”
Review of Gramercy Tavern

Gramercy Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Gramercy Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park Avenue & Broadway
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R or L to 14th Street Union Square or 6 to 23rd Street at Park Avenue
Description: One of America’s most beloved restaurants, Gramercy Tavern has welcomed guests for close to two decades to enjoy seasonal American cuisine, warm hospitality and unparalleled service. The restaurant is perennially ranked at the top of Zagat Survey’s ‘Most Popular’ list, and has garnered eight James Beard Awards including ‘Outstanding Restaurant’ and ‘Best Chef: NYC’. Chef Michael Anthony’s highly seasonal menu consists of elegant dishes with a rustic influence that showcase the restaurant’s relationships with local farms and purveyors. The Main Dining Room serves prix-fixe menus starting at $92 for dinner and an a la carte menu for lunch, and accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The more casual Tavern serves an a la carte menu centered around the wood burning grill, and welcomes guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant also features an acclaimed wine list, and thoughtfully selected beer and cocktail offerings.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Gramercy Tavern has been operating at a high level for many years now with changes in chefs and managers. But our recent visit was superb - they staff warmly welcomed us to the restaurant and the serving staff were almost perfect. We had the three course (as opposed to the tasting) menu and our fish was done perfectly. The wine choices are extensive and one can find many good affordable wines to try. The desserts are always a treat as well as the muffins to take home. The bar is also a great place to go without a reservation. The night we were there, there were open seats available at the bar where you can also eat dinner. This is still one of New York's best places to eat.

3  Thank jjc34
Write a ReviewReviews (3,203)

Reviewed August 12, 2013

And I am convinced that this is one of the very best restaurants in Manhattan.
Being from Europe it is anyway a bit difficult to "like" some kinds of restaurants in New York. The eating mentality is very different and it needs some effort to find the real good ones. Tripadvisor is one good help in that matter.
The Gramercy Tavern is a big place but even though far less noisy than places of comparable size. In fact the size is not visible as long as you are not wandering around. It is a posh place, expensive for sure, but the food is fantastically presented and delicious in taste. And I think in the Gramercy you can experience New York food which for some time I was doubting that it exists at all...
They offer an outstanding selection of wine, really huge with a price range between affordable and out of the roof.
Service is very professional and friendly, at the point, nothing to improve. In the event end I even got a little birthday cake with my name on it in chocolate...what a nice surprise.
Special thanks to my lady for taking me to this fantastic place!!!

2  Thank GWHAM
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Fine dining restaurant in Manhattan, delitious courses, excellent service. Wish I could return soon.
Reservation is required, at least 10 days before your arrival.
Alexandra is a fantastic waitress.

1  Thank Marta B
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I had the 5 course tasting menu. As a solo diner, I chose to eat at the bar.

The food was amazing, and there was a wide range of non-alcoholic cocktails, great for those of us who are not legal in the US.

The food was fantastically flavoured, particularly the warm seafood salad.

My only problem was the wait time. I had heard it would be busy, so I arrived at 7.15, to be told that it would likely be an hour wait for a single space. Luckily, it did not take that long.

Service was flawless. I was worried that, as a solo nineteen-year old, I would be looked down on, but the wait staff were respectful.

I'd highly reccomend GT to everyone.

1  Thank mkpollard
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Had the six course Summer tasting menu. Excellent combination of flavours and portion sizes. We sat in the back of the restaurant which was fully booked, even on a Monday night. It was very busy out the front and I probably would not eat in that part of the restaurant if that was the only option.
Service was friendly and courteous. My only suggestion to Management is that they should consider getting some more Australian red and white wines on their wine list.
If you are looking for a special dining event during your visit to New York this is hard to beat.