“Would suggest to any solo traveller in NYC”
Review of Gramercy Tavern

Gramercy Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Gramercy Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 13,639 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park Avenue & Broadway
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R or L to 14th Street Union Square or 6 to 23rd Street at Park Avenue
Description: One of America’s most beloved restaurants, Gramercy Tavern has welcomed guests for close to two decades to enjoy seasonal American cuisine, warm hospitality and unparalleled service. The restaurant is perennially ranked at the top of Zagat Survey’s ‘Most Popular’ list, and has garnered eight James Beard Awards including ‘Outstanding Restaurant’ and ‘Best Chef: NYC’. Chef Michael Anthony’s highly seasonal menu consists of elegant dishes with a rustic influence that showcase the restaurant’s relationships with local farms and purveyors. The Main Dining Room serves prix-fixe menus starting at $92 for dinner and an a la carte menu for lunch, and accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The more casual Tavern serves an a la carte menu centered around the wood burning grill, and welcomes guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant also features an acclaimed wine list, and thoughtfully selected beer and cocktail offerings.
Columbus, Ohio
“Would suggest to any solo traveller in NYC”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Gramercy Tavern had been recommended to me as a great place for a solo business traveller to have dinner because of its vibrant bar scene, and I could not agree more. I arrived around 9:00pm on a week night and the place was packed. I gave my name to the hostess and bartender and waited 10 minutes for a place at the bar to open. As I was sitting down at the bar, the hostess approached me to let me know that a spot had also opened at a table in the bar area, if I would prefer. I prefered the bar, but it was an excellent service gesture. I had the summer bar tasting menu, which was delicious and not exorbitantly priced. I found the wine by the glass selection to be good and well-suited to the menu. The service at the bar was efficient and friendly.

I spent a very pleasant couple of hours enjoying excellent food in a fantastic, bustling energy at Gramercy Tavern. I would highly recommend dining in the bar area for those who are alone or wanting a less formal dining experience than the dining room.

1 Thank Davis1171

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Another Favorite”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Enjoyed a tasting menu at the bar and found the service second to none. A bit noisy but what would you expect in the bar area.
We will definately return on our next trip to NYC.

Visited July 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Failed to live up to expectations”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Gramercy Tavern had been recommended to us as being well worth a visit by people who had dined there on several occasions so I had very high hopes. We visited for lunch on the last day of our trip to New York. Initial impressions were very positive, the restaurant is beautiful and it was very busy, considering this was a mid week lunch visit.

We decided to go for the lunch tasting menu, partly to give us the opportunity to sample a few different dishes and partly as we thought this would keep us going through the long journey later that day. The service was efficient, but very impersonal, none of the staff we came across were especially friendly and were actually a little standoffish at times.

All I can really say about the food is that it was fine. All tasty enough and I did enjoy it but for me it was very much a case of style over substance, I did not try anything throughout the 5 courses that I found to be particularly exciting or that could be ranked as being above average. The portions were extremely small, I would expect this to a point with a tasting menu but they really were so minuscule that I felt I didn't get the opportunity to savour any of the dishes properly since they disappeared in a couple of mouthfuls. I was actually still hungry when I left the restaurant.

Another issue was that the whole experience felt rushed, each dish arrived minutes after the table had been cleared and bearing in mind that each course did not take long to eat due to the portion size it was not particularly relaxing.

Price wise it was reasonable enough - probably helped by the fact that for us it was lunchtime prices and we only had 1 drink each. I would be very unlikely to return though unfortunately.

Visited May 2013
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This restaurant is rated as one of the best in New York City. However, we were very disappointed with the meal we had on July 19, 2013. We opted for the 7 course tasting menu which was about $125/person. With wine and tip the meal was $350. The food was beautifully presented but barely warm and very tasteless. The place was packed and the bar very loud but we had a reservation so we were seated in the dining room which was less loud. The only thing excellent about the restaurant was the service. I will never go there again and do not recommend it.

1 Thank Susan T
New York City, New York
“I'm not feeling the Danny Myer's mystique.”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Well, I've now dined at 2 of DM's restaurants in the past year and I've not had the same experience as the raves and reviews would have suggested. Good ambience, albeit noisy, professional and attentive wait staff, though they tend to be too intrusive with their tedious descriptions of each tem served. I won't dismiss the creativity and presentaion of each course, but I was sadly dissapointed that the tasting menu was just that, a tablespoon, or 2, of each course. Still havn't found the "wow" factor in their menu, closer to average, than it is to sensational. While there are a few DM's establishments that similarly have grandiose reviews behind them and were on my list for future dinners with friends, I'll go with my gut and conclude that they will offer little than a repeat performance.