“Absolute Perfection”
Review of Gramercy Tavern

Gramercy Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Gramercy Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 14,208 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park Avenue & Broadway
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R or L to 14th Street Union Square or 6 to 23rd Street at Park Avenue
Description: One of America’s most beloved restaurants, Gramercy Tavern has welcomed guests for close to two decades to enjoy seasonal American cuisine, warm hospitality and unparalleled service. The restaurant is perennially ranked at the top of Zagat Survey’s ‘Most Popular’ list, and has garnered eight James Beard Awards including ‘Outstanding Restaurant’ and ‘Best Chef: NYC’. Chef Michael Anthony’s highly seasonal menu consists of elegant dishes with a rustic influence that showcase the restaurant’s relationships with local farms and purveyors. The Main Dining Room serves prix-fixe menus starting at $92 for dinner and an a la carte menu for lunch, and accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The more casual Tavern serves an a la carte menu centered around the wood burning grill, and welcomes guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant also features an acclaimed wine list, and thoughtfully selected beer and cocktail offerings.
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This restaurant is one of the top-rated eating establishments in Manhattan and for good reason! We have dined here twice, and both times the food was wonderful, the service was impecable, and the atmosphere most pleasant! The prixe fixe only $88.00 per person meal in the dining room is well worth the splurge! However, you must make reservations a month in advance to secure your place; but if you are traveling to New York, don't miss this experience!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,203)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Service was good but had a number of missteps to it. Asked if we wanted more bread 3 times, more water 4 times. We liked the dessert amuse bouche, but felt that the starter one was forgettable and had a stale taste to it. I had chicken with sausage which was forgettable, my wife's main was better. Starters were fine and we shared a great dessert. The bill was around the $250 with service included. This is an expensive night out. One last thing. When we reserved we were told that we had to call back to confirm. I've not been asked to do this for many years, presuming that the onus is on the restaurant to confirm with their diners. It shows an arrogance and lack of customer care in my view to ask the guest to confirm, especially at these prices. That said, they have the number one restaurant in New York on tripadvisor so I' m clearly in the minority in relation to this and my take on the entire experience.

2  Thank brockcork
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Very good service, great wine list (we´ve tried a white wine, wonderful), excelent tasting menu. Seat on the restaurant, you wont regret!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband brought me here on our first trip together and it has become a regular stop for us to share a cocktail and fabulous bite to eat. Service is exceptional and the decor is warm and beautiful !

Reviewed November 14, 2012

The tavern is open Noon to 11:30PM, which is perfect for people like me who eat at odd hours. I have two guests for lunch in the middle of the afternoon and show up early, to make sure we have a table (the Tavern does not take reservations). I like the Tavern – its tall ceilings and huge windows create an atmosphere of airiness and joy, aided by the huge bouquets of flowers all over the places.
Soon, my guests are here and the feast begins: Aperitifs are accompanied by dark bread, excellent extra virgin olive oil and appetizers. The Tavern carries my preferred Scotch, a brand I can rarely find in NY, another proof of their excellent selection at the bar. The Long Island Baked Clams come enveloped in the aromas of sea and herbs. The Roasted Oysters are so light, they are like emulsion nested in the shell. The vegetarian on the table gives a high rating to the caramelized cauliflower and we are all ready to proceed to the main attraction.
For main course we pick stripped bass (it comes on a bed of tasty vegetables) and Leg of Duck in a delicious comfit, all priced sensible. The Vegetarian sings high prize to the Butter squash lasagna and we all drink a bottle of Prosecco priced very reasonably at $50 and going well with our different selection. Portions are modern, but this makes you appreciate the food better. Not to mention it leaves space for deserts.
Chocolate pudding and selection of ice creams make our wonderful lunch complete, followed by coffee and Cointreau. Yep, they even have that.
Unfortunately, throughout this culinary joy, the service is slow and leaves to be desired. When I finally attack this subject with our waitress, she blurts out: “It’s only me, I’m all alone!” Yes, I know, middle of the afternoon, how many people pick this time for lunch. And yet, there were at least a dozen table occupied. Maybe the Tavern can do something about it.

3  Thank Oliver S