“Truly excellent in all respects - a New York City favourite” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gramercy Tavern

Gramercy Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Gramercy Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 13,478 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park Avenue & Broadway
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R or L to 14th Street Union Square or 6 to 23rd Street at Park Avenue
Description: One of America’s most beloved restaurants, Gramercy Tavern has welcomed guests for close to two decades to enjoy seasonal American cuisine, warm hospitality and unparalleled service. The restaurant is perennially ranked at the top of Zagat Survey’s ‘Most Popular’ list, and has garnered eight James Beard Awards including ‘Outstanding Restaurant’ and ‘Best Chef: NYC’. Chef Michael Anthony’s highly seasonal menu consists of elegant dishes with a rustic influence that showcase the restaurant’s relationships with local farms and purveyors. The Main Dining Room serves prix-fixe menus starting at $92 for dinner and an a la carte menu for lunch, and accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The more casual Tavern serves an a la carte menu centered around the wood burning grill, and welcomes guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant also features an acclaimed wine list, and thoughtfully selected beer and cocktail offerings.
Ottawa, Ontario
“Truly excellent in all respects - a New York City favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I made a dinner reservation at the Gramercy Tavern based in part on Trip Advisor recommendations, and in part on an article that I had read about chef Michael Anthony winning the James Beard Award for “best chef in NYC”. Our expectations were high, as we had already enjoyed several other quality meals in NYC earlier in the weekend. I am very pleased to say that Gramercy Tavern exceeded all of our expectations, with our experience leaving us in a state of euphoria for a full day after our visit. We still talk about the meal to this day.

We arrived a few minutes before our reservation time, and decided to see what the bar (which is on the “tavern” side) had to offer. I ordered one of the signature drinks, the Apropos, which contains gin, aperol, and yellow chartreuse, and my wife ordered another signature cocktail, the Peach Blossom (actually the Orange Blossom, but the bartender modified it for my wife's preferences, like a real professional). The bartenders are true artists in terms of skill, speed, and ability to strike up conversation, but the credit goes to whomever designed the signature drinks, as mine, at least, was one of the best bitter drinks I have ever tasted.

The bar and restaurant were packed. I would say that the average age of the guests was mid-30s, although we saw almost all age groups represented. About half of the men were wearing suits, and more than half of the women were wearing dresses, though no one was dressed especially formal, as that is not the vibe there. The noise level is somewhat high but tables are not placed too closely together, so you will at all times feel as though you have some personal space.

After ten minutes, our table was ready. Our server explained everything, took our orders, made excellent wine suggestions based on our food choices, and checked in on us frequently throughout the evening.

Though we ordered the “two-course” dinner, we ultimately enjoyed SIX courses throughout the evening. We were surprised with a tuna sashimi appetizer, followed by our actual appetizers of beef carpaccio and smoked trout. I have tried beef carpaccio at several restaurants in many cities, and this one ranked among the very best. Throughout the evening we were served three varieties of freshly baked artisan bread with several choices of butter, all of which were very good. Our main dishes were Arctic char and smoked duck breast. My wife is rather picky when it comes to fowl but she said that the duck was excellent, and my char was outstanding, owing in particular to the presentation and the glaze. Following dinner, we were served our "main" dessert, which for me was three servings of somewhat unconventional gelato, and for my wife, the peanut better semifreddo chocolate macaroon (the photo will explain better than words just how talented pastry chef Nancy Olson is). After the main desserts, we were served a platter of six small pieces of various treats, including macaroons, which were otherworldly. When we were having our post-dinner drinks (in my case, absinthe, prepared the traditional way) and thought we were done eating, our server brought us some lovely muffins, individually wrapped, for breakfast the next morning. There was not a single misstep to which I could point all evening long - the service and food were consistently excellent.

The Gramercy Tavern is certainly one of the finest Michelin-starred restaurants in NYC, and at under $400 for two people (including taxes and a generous tip) for a long meal with six alcoholic beverages, I would say it was a great value, too.

One closing remark: you should make reservations well in advance, especially if you want to eat in the “restaurant” part of Gramercy Tavern on a weekend. We booked four weeks in advance for a Saturday night, and called a few days later to see if we could alter our reservation time, but the restaurant was completely booked. If you do not have a reservation, you can take a chance and see if there is space available in the “tavern” part of the establishment, since we did see a few people successfully seated in this manner.

• Visited September 2012

• Turkish first
Scotland
“No wonder it's no. 1!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Dined here pre hurricane for my wife's birthday. Came to $400 for the pair of us but worth every cent. Definitely would recommend the tasting menu. Some good wines by the glass and some eclectic beers. Food backed by great staff and a great atmosphere - both in the bar and in the restaurant. They served up an extra pud with my wife's name on it. Lovely gesture. Thoroughly recommended and will return next time.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Sit in the bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Rather than jockeying for a reservation weeks (months) in advance, my husband and I opted to sit in the bar later at night. There is plenty of seating available and a limited version of the dining room menu. We did not feel one bit like we missed anything!
Especially save room for dessert. The profiteroles are amazing and great to take home if you happened to fill up already!

Visited February 2012
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Let me be straight forward, this place isn't cheap by any sense of the imagination. We went there for a friend's birthday, so it was a special night out. On the whole, I'd say this isn't the type of place that tries to blow you away with crazy food items, etc. Instead they focus on providing a world class dining experience.

At one point I went to the bathroom, when I came back they had refolded my napkin! Maybe that's common in these types of upscale places (I only go to a place like this maybe 1 time per year) but that really blew me away!

The food was delicious! A lot of it is "tavern" food, but really upscale tavern food.

Who knows, I guess if you are a Wall Street banker this type of place is probably just the normal night out, but for me it was a real treat!

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jimmy S
Aarhus, Denmark
“Excellent ambience and service; good food, too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Gramercy Tavern, for me, is all about the ambience. It's a very pleasant mixture of the informal and the upmarket, and the service is impeccable. The food is very good, if a bit unadventurous for my personal taste, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Visited October 2012