“Very noisy place!”
Review of Nello

Nello
Reserve with OpenTable
Nello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9,445 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between 62nd and 63rd Street
Transit: By train: Take the N,Q,R to 5 Ave/59 St Station or the 4,5,6 to Lexington Ave/ 59 St Station.
Description: Nello is the Upper East Side's finest Italian dining establishment, catering to the world's elite in a beautiful boutique space that is both casual and elegant. In our 25 years, Nello has become the reference standard for excellence and ambiance, by virtue of its singular vision of traditional European splendor presented with sophisticated cosmopolitan flair. Drawing on the storied lineage of the restaurant's creator, coupled with the wealth of experience shaping its world-class staff, Nello is unique in its ability to effectively combine elements of North Mediterranean culture and Manhattan society, while maintaining the authenticity of each. Sharing its exclusive Madison Avenue locale, as well as its clientele, with neighboring high-end fashion and jewelry designers, such as Hermes, Roberto Cavalli, Giorgio Armani, Chanel, Graff, and Chopard, the international jet set has long considered Nello a destination point on their global itinerary. We invite you to join us for an exemplary dining experience with world class flair that can only be found here at Nello.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I liked the food very much but the atmopshere and the tables into each other was a negative aspect:( It was a noisy atmosphere with a strange type of music. I honestly thought that the music is needless there ! I had fish for my main course and it was a special that day so it tasted pretty good. As for the appetizers, we have had crab salad and lobsters, they were OK, not great but OK...
And another negative thing was it was soo expensive even though it's not a luxurious and elegant place.

1  Thank HandeVatandost
There are newer reviews for Nello

Reviewed November 2, 2012

First, if you are reading this and haven't yet gone to dinner, read all the reviews as there is a pattern and it's absolutely accurate. You have to think about this as a real estate transaction, not as fine dining. And it's going to cost you about $125/person, tip included, for four people for 2 hours if you are careful. From Nello's point of view, there is clearly a market for this and between his dining room (quite lovely, by the way) that's filled with people in their 30's and 40's and 50's mostly and the bar scene, it's very active........and it's got a great vibe (if this is the kind of vibe you like). As I said, I'm not going to rate this as I would a normal restaurant because it simply isn't.

There is one thing that they do, however, that really ticks me off..........and there is another Italian restaurant on Madison Avenue that does the same thing. They up-sell........especially with their specials where the waiter tells you the item and not the price.

Last night they were pushing white truffles. First came a plate of white truffles for all to smell. Then a list of all the items upon which white truffles have been added. When Dale was about to order the risotto with white truffles, I did something I rarely do.................it was so obvious to me that I just had to do it...............I asked her to ask the waiter the price. When he said $275 but she could have a half order for $150, she passed.

Clearly, much of the comment in the reviews that follow comes from this approach to business. And it seems to work for Nello. My guess is that there are many who don't ask the price and are simply surprised when the bill comes.

So, as they say, caveat emptor.

How do I feel about Nello's? Better than I did in 2009 when I wrote that I'd never return. I teased last night that when I feel that strongly about a restaurant and it survives 3 years, I should return and check again. Nello's is a great success and if we're all here at the end of 2015, we'll be back.

2  Thank doug100worth
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Everytime we were in NYC, we used to go to Nello's. The food is good and the atmosphere is a little bourgeois, but nice people and the place is located in the heart of the shopping area of the chic Madison Ave. But the last two times we were there, we felt that the staff was pushing us to spend money on alcoholic drinks. Ok, if you are there, is to spend money. But it is our choice what we want to have. We refused twice the drinks as we don't drink alcohol, and the hostess looked us in a way that we felt embarrassed. The food is Ok, not a great cuisine, just fine. After the meal, the waiter offered us the dessert, showing the samples. We refused and again, a disapproval look. When they brought the check, they charged more than what we had: two alcoholic drinks, one dessert and more...That was the second time it happened with us, which gave us a such bad impression! So sorry Nello's, if you continue this way, you'll lose your frequent customers! We are not coming back so soon! And for the price they charge, we have other greater cuisines to go in NYC!

2  Thank Limalb
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My friend and I stumbled upon it when shooping, and decided to ask for a table BIG MISTAKE! There is no list, no keeping track of who came first, or how long you have been waiting for a table. The manager told us it would be 10 minutes, but they were long past and he kept giving tables to people just coming in who were noticeably regular custumers. After I got upset and asked him if I should leave, he gave us a table. The food was really good but very scarce and expensive. Even the water, which you can't refuse because they come to you with two open bottles and ask gas or no gas? was $15 the bottle. Noqui $39. Tiramisu $21. When we sat down we could tell that this is a place to where people come to see and be seen. They also love the feeling they get when they get a table before other people who are waiting. This is the reason they come here, to feel special.

1  Thank quelquejeu
Reviewed October 1, 2012

this NYC institution has really gone down hill. I used to live in the area and was a regular diner. Now it appears to be popular with Asian tourists and so the detail and 5 star service has suffered. The food was OK but not outstanding. Prices are just as high as in the past of course. We had two courses and one glass of wine each and it was $350. Happy to pay that for exceptional but dont charge that for average! Avoid. Much better places in that neighbourhood too.

1  Thank jezwilliman