“Very Good Indian Food in a Charming Setting”

Agra Indian & Pakistan Rest
Reserve with OpenTable
Agra Indian & Pakistan Rest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,085 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek, Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: E. 62nd St.
Transit: Lexington Av/63 St (F) Lexington Av/59 St (N, Q, R) 59 St (4, 5, 6, 6X)
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I had dinner at Agra last week with a friend. It had been several years since I'd been, and I was impressed with both the food and the service. The setting, two intimate rooms on the second floor of a building overlooking Lexington Avenue, is charming. The walls are a jewel-tone red, decorated with various examples of Indian art. We had a table at the window, allowing us to look down at everyone hurrying home from work.

Our meal was excellent. We started with a platter of mixed vegetable fritters - just the right amount for two to share, then had a shrimp curry and an order of Tandoori chicken with rice. We finished with a special dessert made with coconut milk, which was delicious.

The setting really is lovely - for a quiet dinner with friends, a romantic evening out, even for a group (there are some larger tables).

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Yum. Yum. and YUMMMMMMM. This is the real deal in an authentic atmosphere. Great location in midtown/upper east side. Shop at Bloomingdales, then walk two or three blocks north and refuel.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

The food was decent but it was not worth the walk up the stairs as far as ability to stand out from others in the area. I will stick to east 58th street in midtwon but still prefer "curry Hill "

1  Thank Allan S
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I had an appointment nearby, and wanted Indian. The reviews and the proximity brought me here. As others have noted, it is on the second floor of a mostly residential building. I climbed the stairs, and had made a reservation for lunch at 11:45. I arrived at about 11:40, and it was clear that they were not yet open. I said that I would wait, and seated myself at a 4 top at the window. Two people told me that they did not open until noon, which was fine (why did opentable take the earlier reservation?), however they could have been just a bit more hospitable. Water would have been nice.

The food was really superb. On the table was a poppadum, with a spicy dal. I ordered shrimp tikka, and wanted spinach, so ordered that as a side. This was well worth the premium price compared with the numerous Indian buffets in the city. The shrimp was sizzling, on a platter with peppers, onions and tomatoes. Spiced perfectly. The simple side of spinach was amazing. Tasted like it was cooked with a lot of oil, but assured otherwise, and they told me the spices they use. They even gave me a small container of one of the spices (a very nice gesture).

The menu is of course extensive, with many breads, curries, etc.

I would clearly go back.....in fact, I can't wait!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant while out exploring the neighborhood on the first night of our extended visit to New York. I noticed the awning on the second floor windows. The menu is posted downstairs an the restaurant will buzz you in. There is one flight of steep stairs in this older building and the entrance is to your the right at the top.

The servers were very attentive and friendly. We had the Chana Poori appetizer which was delicious and the poori was puffy and perfect.

I had the lamb vindaloo. It was very spicy and the lamb was fork tender. My wife had the Jhalfrezi with beef which was mildly spicy but full of complex flavors. Both were served with basmati rice and some condiments.

The atmosphere was cozy and quaint and some tables have a view of the street below. Altogether a pleasant dining experience.