“Vegan food not just for vegans!”
Review of Candle 79

Candle 79
Reserve with OpenTable
Candle 79 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #180 of 14,591 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Lexington and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 Train to 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, #79 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street, and #101 & #102 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street or 3rd Avenue and 79th Street.
Description: Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!" We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu. Brunch available Saturday and Sunday. Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I am not vegan so was a little worried.... Such a great meal. I went back the following week. I ordered the same both times, mushroom, veggie crepe and boy was it great!! Give it a try.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I didn't do my research and was surprised to find it was vegan only...that being said, it is very very good! There are creative and well balanced dishes...plenty to eat (portion sizes are great).The lemonade concoction I had was superb on a hot summer evening! A little more formal but not fussy.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This place is amazing. The environment is fantastic, service is awesome, and food is amazing. Definitely give this place a shot.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was delightfully surprised. We chose this as one of our party is a vegetarian. I am not and was prepared to be skeptical. Color me shocked. All the dishes were expertly prepared and full of interesting and delicious flavors. My Zucchini Blossoms stuffed with a veggie mousse and surrounded by a luscious salad was outstanding. My dessert of Berry Crumble capped the great meal for me.

1  Thank Blueshadow31
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I was surprised by the amount of proposed dishes, a real delight for vegetarians/vegans. The burrito was outstanding! As well as the home made juices.