“Vegetarian's Paradise!”
Review of Candle 79

Candle 79
Reserve with OpenTable
Candle 79 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 13,754 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Lexington and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 Train to 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, #79 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street, and #101 & #102 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street or 3rd Avenue and 79th Street.
Description: Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!" We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu. Brunch available Saturday and Sunday. Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
London
“Vegetarian's Paradise!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I went to Candle 79 (bookable via OpenTable) in New York's Upper East Side while on holiday in February 2013.
First impressions walking in was that it was a little cramped as people were waiting to be seated just inside the doorway and as we walked in, we were right amongst them.
We were seated pretty promptly upstairs after they took our coats. We were seated at a round table but asked to move to one of the booths since several were free. The booths were large and comfortable.
The menu is pretty eclectic with quite a large variety. We settled on the nachos appetiser and the spiced chickpea cake entrée.
The nachos were huge and very filling but needed some hot sauce to give them a bit of a kick as they were in danger of being somewhat bland.
The chickpea cake was good and we got them with a side of polenta fries which were really nice (light and crispy on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside). It was very tasty but something like a big falafel.
I had a nice glass of Chilean CabSauv with the meal but we couldn't manage dessert as we were had eaten a big lunch too. I recommend sharing plates so you have space for dessert!
I'd probably try it again some time as I'd like to try some of the other stuff on the menu.

• Visited February 2014

• Korean first
Wallingford, CT
“Not just for Vegans”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

If you've been curious about vegan food but were worried about the taste, you should definitely go here. The service is excellent. The food has a pleasing variety of tastes and textures. There are also some really interesting drinks available. The Shiver Stopper is great for the smell alone (cloves and other flavors). My spicy Chickpea Cake entree had just the right amount of heat and a good mix of textures. The dessert was great. I'm definitely an omnivore, but I would eat here again, the food is that good.

• Visited February 2014
Miami Lakes, Florida
“UNUSUALLY GOOD VEGAN/VEGETARIAN”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We celebrated my daughter-in-law's birthday at Candle because she's a vegan. The restaurant is not very large by New York standards, but it is welcoming. We were a party of fifteen and everyone enjoyed the food, no small feat. The appietizers varied; beans with guacamole, onions and red pepper was very well prepared. My favorite were the dumplings filled with veggies and a dipping sauce, delicious. All the main courses were well prepared and tasty. The desserts were unbelievable. The chocolat brownie with cream and the apple pie were so good. No one could believe all this food was vegan. Service was rapid and pleasant. It is well priced. If you're looking for a vegan/vegetarian restaurant, you won't be disappointed. Go online to check the menu. Enjoy!

Visited February 2014
“Good food, nice placement”
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Romantic restaurant with tasty vegetarian dishes. I am not a vegetarian, but it is nice to change sometimes. Unfortunately my risotto lacked flavour, but the other dishes were great. Service is attentive and nice.

Visited January 2014
“VEGAN VEGAN VEGAN”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I am a vegetarian so one of my friend told me about this place. The food was awesome i tried the mexican burrito and it was good, deco was good and staff was friendly : )

• Visited February 2013