“Great and unexpected surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Candle 79

Candle 79
Reserve with OpenTable
Candle 79 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Lexington and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 Train to 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, #79 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street, and #101 & #102 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street or 3rd Avenue and 79th Street.
Description: Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!" We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu. Brunch available Saturday and Sunday. Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Esher, United Kingdom
“Great and unexpected surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife is an occasional vegetarian, whilst I most definitely am not. Tiring however of large meat portions we found this delightful restaurant on TripAdvisor and decided to give it a go. I was stunned by the variety and quality of our meal - outstanding flavours, textures and presentation whilst still providing a substantial meal. We will certainly be returning when next in New York, and I for one have had a number of prejudices about vegetarian food exploded. An excellent dining experience,

• Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delicious vegan gluten free ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Went here for an anniversary dinner and we were so glad we did. Everything was delicious from the amuse bouche to the dessert- it's upscale but not uncomfortably so-a casual friendly feel.

Charleston, South Carolina
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

This is an amazing Vegetarian/Vegan restaurant. No foodie will be disappointed. I can't wait to go back. The service was excellent. A real team effort.

Manlius, New York
“Really impressive cuisine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was our 2nd time to this restaurant and we enjoyed it just as much this time as the last. I am not a vegetarian (although my girl friend is) but the quality of the food is really up there. I had a live eggplant appetizer followed by a grilled seitan (made from soy I believe). I really hate tofu but I am happy to eat this version of soy. It's very meaty and absorbs flavors well. The meal was surprisingly very filling.

I prefer to sit upstairs. I don't like the seats near the door at all, so be sure to reserve on the upper level.

Yallingup, Western Australia, Australia
“Best in New York City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I had planned to go back to this restaurant after my visit from Australia last year. That comment alone should emphasise how good this place is. Last year we tried it out by mistake really and were lucky enough to get in without a reservation. This time we booked ahead online so as not to be disappointed. The evening was awesome and possibly my best meal ever. We started with a taste of guacamole on 2 corn chips. For first course I had nanchos and my husband had 'Live Pad Thai', live meaning raw food. My nanchos were huge and had pieces of mushrooms, lettuce, corn chips, vegan cheese and crème with brown beans. Delicious! The Pad Thai had such fresh Thai flavours - it too was delicious. We accompanied the meal with a bottle of Tempranillo from Spain. My main course was an enchilada, which was also 'live' and consisted of fresh greens, chilli sauce, corn, little baby enchiladas, vegan cheese and crème, cucumber and some other little cubes of a white crispy vegetable that tasted a bit like corn but felt like water chestnuts. My husband had bbq seitan with sweet potato mash, but I think my meal was better! The table behind us was celebrating a birthday and someone brought cupcakes to the restaurant without permission, which appeared to be a problem as they were not vegan cupcakes, so warning, being true to the philosophy of vegan food is taken seriously. I was so overwhelmed by the fabulous food that I didn't really take much notice of the service but I'm sure it was top class. This was our last night in New York and the USA which made the trip all the more memorable.

• Visited September 2013