“Anniversary Weekend Treat”
Review of Candle 79

Candle 79
Reserve with OpenTable
Candle 79 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 13,638 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Lexington and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 Train to 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, #79 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street, and #101 & #102 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street or 3rd Avenue and 79th Street.
Description: Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!" We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu. Brunch available Saturday and Sunday. Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Fort Myers, Florida
“Anniversary Weekend Treat”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have waited over a year to get back to New York to visit Candle 79, especially since I have raved to my partner about it. We visited NY for our anniversary weekend. Because we both are vegetarian I was excited to take him to Candle 79 as he had only heard me talk about it. We stayed right off Times Square, but I was adamant about going to the restaurant so we hopped a cab and hoped to get there alive with the NY cabbie.

Normally a very picky, and hard to please individual, he loved his meal. He had the walnut-crusted seitan (the special that evening) and I had the Seitan Piccata. Wow and amazing are 2 words to describe the meals...especially his. Not only was the meal excellent, but the service and the ambiance was one that made the experience unforgettable.

I love this place and will be back...one day.

• Visited July 2013

• Korean first
Mississauga
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing and Creative!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My friend and I went to NYC for a girls weekend, and had heard some great things about this restaurant and decided to check it out.

We ventured there on a Friday night without a reservation (bad mistake - make a reservation), but they made it work and were still able to accommodate us.

We ordered the dumplings as our starter, and they were fantastic! So great, that I bought the cookbook so I can make them at home!

I had a raw vegetable dish, and my friend had the chickpea cake. Both dishes were delicious and beyond creative with the ingredients and spices they chose to use!

If you have the time, even if you're not vegan/vegetarian, definitely stop here!

• Visited June 2013
Plainview, New York
“Fantastic vegan /vegetarian experience, upscale!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Have been wanting to get to this restaurant, but am rarely on upper east side. Fantastic food and plating, good service, beautiful interior, which is appreciated, since many vegetarian restaurants are very casual and just "earthy". All of our selections were tasty. This is not a " cheap" dining experience, but if you want to eat healthy, are vegan,vegetarian, lactose intollerant or have other dietary needs, this is a wonderful choice! Can be for a special occasion or brunch as well. Wait staff are friendly, provide excellent service and are helpful. Well worth the money.

Visited July 2013
Tipperary, Ireland
“An excellent return visit”
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Our 2nd visit to this wonderful Vegan restaurant . Fabulous choice and presentation of food . Service was excellent with well informed staff . Well worth a visit .

• Visited July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Good, but a little disappointing”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Being vegan, I knew that the next time I got to NYC, I'd make time to get to the upper east side to visit Candle 79. We were there on a Sunday around 1pm, and the restaurant was about 1/3 full. The hostess was very sweet and accommodating (we got there early, and she seated us with no fuss). The waitress was friendly initially, and brought out our appetizers promptly, but after we requested to be moved because we were sitting in a crazy-cold draft, we got the stink eye from her and she was pretty inattentive after that. We had to wait quite a while for our main courses. Our watermelon-basil coolers were wonderful. My seitan piccata was overpriced, but delicious. My companion's waffle was dry, hard as rock, and flavorless. So he ordered a side of rice to fill him up, and said it was very tasty. I'll go back next time I'm in NYC, but my expectations won't be as high this time.

• Visited June 2013