“Good to the last bite.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Candle 79

Candle 79
Reserve with OpenTable
Candle 79 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Lexington and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 Train to 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, #79 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street, and #101 & #102 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street or 3rd Avenue and 79th Street.
Description: Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!" We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu. Brunch available Saturday and Sunday. Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
“Good to the last bite.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our dining experience at Candle79 was top class. Visiting twice in two years, the menu had not changed much but the food and the service were as good as we remembered. Excellent wine list too.

• Visited June 2012

• Korean first
Scottsdale, Arizona
“a vegan's dream come true!! others will like it too”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

loved the food!!! and the service and the atmosphere and the prices....nothing better than being at a place that you know tries to do good food well...highly recommend it!

Visited September 2012
Bellevue, WA
“You'll be too distracted by the great flavor of the dishes to realize they're vegan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

After meandering across southern Central Park on a gorgeous fall day, my husband and I strolled over to Candle 79 for a late lunch. They apparently stop serving food on weekdays from 3:30-5, and we got there just before 3:00. I was looking for a vegetarian restaurant, and the food here was so delicious, simply bursting with flavor, that I didn't even realize it's actually all vegan. I had the most delicate, wonderful gluten-free crepe with a savory wild mushroom, kale, and broccoli filling, my husband had the wild mushroom squash risotto, and we both shared the avocado-jicama tartare starter. Everything tasted so fresh and vibrant. The menu is a bit on the pricy side - this is a great choice for special occasions - but the quality is all there. We spent $100 on our lunch, with tip included, and felt that it definitely tasted like a $100 meal. I look forward to dining there again in the future.

Nashville, Tennessee
“Wow, what a surprise and GREAT food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We went for lunch at a friend's recommendation and the staff and creativity of food were outstanding. All veg and vegan, this place made me a butternut risotto that was one of the best things I have ever eaten. I can't wait to go back. This is NOT what I expected so I'm still tickled with it. Go.

Lugano, Switzerland
“Jewel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

After having read all the fantastic reviews, we just had to try out this place! Did it meet up to your expectations? Absolutely!
We got a table on the upper floor, the place is clean and spacious and has a classy touch. Service was great: very helpful and friendly! Food well presented. Only downside: quite pricey but worth ever penny!

1 Thank Natfrank