“Great atmosphere - great Italian American Food”
Review of Elio's Restaurant

Elio's Restaurant
Ranked #2,269 of 13,763 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Philadelphia
“Great atmosphere - great Italian American Food”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Everyone raves about this restaurant and the wait time seems eternal. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. It is your typical price range for NYC. (Overpriced) It is always crowded here because it is a small restaurant. I would still recommend it to you for a great place to enjoy your dinner.

• Visited November 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
“As a visitor...stay away”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Had a reservation for a Friday night at 8PM. Got there about 7:30 and sat at the bar for a drink. The usual UES crowd with a few familys with kids along. We were not greeted at all and finally the bartender approached us and took our order. We noticed that everyone that came in was known to the staff and were greeted warmly. When someone came in that was not known they were ignored as we were. I guess they don't need any new business so they only cater to their regulars. A bit short sighted I think. We finished our drinks and left and they didn't even notice. once outside I called and cancelled my reservation. Even in an economy like ours this place must be doing great and I guess it will continue to thrive but not with my contribution. All it means to you is if you are not a regular stay away or prepare to be a lepper. We will never return!

• Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“3rd Time”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The first time I ate at Elio's we were on a NYC food binge. We had selected a number of top restaurants. While we payed up to 3 - 4 times as much at some other places including "Cafe Boulod" I have to admit I liked the family atmosphere, good service and had a great meal at Elio's. Everything we had was fresh from the salad to the shrimp.
My second meal was as good as the first time. Mozzarella cheese with summer ripe tomatoes and a light drizzle of oil. It was perfect. I don't remember the main course but I think it was a mushroom pasta that was tasty as it was fresh.
3rd time we had to eat a the bar. Even though it was early on Sunday it was packed. A salad of radish, onion, cucumber, tomato, perfect. My friends risotto perfectly creamy and not overdone. My putaesca was heavily salted and the pasta crunchy so I returnedd it. and found it eatable the 2nd try.
Not cheap at $100 for 2 people , two apps, one beer, 2 main's, one desert and coffee.
This place is a gem of the upper east side. IF you need a table make a reservation.

• Visited October 2012
Palm Beach, Florida
“"They're paying their check.........sure"”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The good news is that they always give you the bad news first.........."they're just paying their check"............and then you wait at the bar for a half hour. Last night we were 6 and they only have so many tables for 6 and they don't plan properly.....like the doctor who makes everyone wait for him. Personally, this offends me in a restaurant where the prices are sufficiently high to allow for each client to arrive on time and be seated. Ugh. That's why we moved to Nicola's as our local neighborhood restaurant 25 years ago. So much for the bad news.

The good news is that the restaurant is terrific and has been busy for 30 years. Waiters are real pros who know exactly how to handle this crowd. Food is great. Dale had risotto with mushrooms and loved it. I had the best calves liver I've ever had (and I have it whenever I can). Noise level is on the high side but where we were sitting we could still hear each other.

In the end, and especially if you don't mind standing at the bar for a half hour, great choice.

• Visited October 2012
New York
“NOT Italian Food”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

If you like your sauce out of a jar this place is for you. Some of the worst Italian food any person should ever have to eat. TV Dinner would be better. If you HAVE to go to be social.... Order the Chicken well done do NOT get a pasta side as you won't eat it.

Visited June 2012