“Unique surprise”

Cuisines: Russian, Ukrainian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoHo
Description: Ukrainian restaurant in the heart of SoHo: delicious authentic food, exceptional service, and unforgettable experience of Ukrainian hospitality!
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My sister and I stumbled upon this delightful restaurant purely on accident. It was freezing and we wanted some "anti-freeze" and a snack. The staff was very friendly and the bar tender very helpful. We were here in December so it was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The food we had was tasty and inexpensive. We loved the homemade infused vodkas that were abundant. The horseradish and cherrie vodkas were my fave. We will come back on our next trip to the city. NASTROVIA!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We visited this tavern based upon a review in the NY Times. We were not disappointed. It was hard to find, because as we discovered, there are 2 streets called Broadway--but with the help of some New Yorkers, we found the spot. The decor is a bit kitscy but the staff were absoutley sincere in making this a very pleasant evening. Our favorites were the borsch and the stuffed cabbage rolls. We also tried the chicken Kiev which was very good and the holoets, which was interesting but not my favoirte. We had the pirogis which were very good but different from those my Polish mother made. The quantities were very ample. One of the best parts of the evening was when we were leaving and were given a complimentary shot of a horseradish infused vodka--pretty strong but the intensity was cut by a brined pickle--which was excellent. Because of my eastern European heritage, this is the type of food I grew up with. It is really comfort food---you should try it!!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I were directed to this restaurant by a very friendly gallery manager in Greenwich Village, so we stopped by for a late lunch, and were quite delighted by it. Ukrainian food isn't something we're terribly familiar with, so the waiter pointed out some favorites -- lots and lots and lots of them. He was more than a little enthusiastic, but enjoyable and friendly, so we didn't mind. We decided to share an order of three pierogis as an appetizer (meat and cabbage), which were very flavorful but the meat pierogis were a little dry, and could have had more stuffing (there was very little). My husband had the salmon with vodka sauce, which was perfectly prepared, just the right amount (a fairly small plate for lunch), and came with a nice salad. I had the beet salad, and it seemed pretty small when it came to the table, but it was very filling and incredibly delicious -- beets, onions, kidney beans, etc., and just the right amount of a light vinegar dressing and herbs. The brown bread accompanying the salad had a wonderful light but chewy texture and great flavor. I'd definitely go back!

1  Thank marisa13
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I am a frequent client of Taras Bulba restaurant in Moscow and I was really pleased to see that all the best traditions of the network were kept in their new place on Manhattan.
Took my Ukrainian friends there. We enjoyed the best borsch ever together with other delicious Ukrainian meals and vodka of course.

2  Thank Artem K
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was leary of the trip advisor reviews as the early ones were posted by people with only 1 or 2 reviews. But having spent much time in Ukraine we decided to give it a try. We had the only waiter who wasnt from the Former Soviet Union and he was excellent. We trusted his opinion as an outsider. We were pleasantly surprised with all of our choices. They were fairly close to what you would get in Ukraine. The "Pirohi" dough was not gooey or thick and when they were filled with cabbage cleaned the brine of the cabbage first and just didnt take it out of a package. There cherry ones were very good. Sausage tasted homemade although authentic it might be a little fatty for American taste. Prices were not outrageous and the portions were adequate.
We would go back