“Yummy, indulgent and totally calorie free!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Serendipity 3

Serendipity 3
Ranked #46 of 441 Dessert in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Albuquerque
“Yummy, indulgent and totally calorie free!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Of course I'm kidding about the calorie free part. Everything here is delicious. But, I don't think it was too good for my figure. I ordered a cheese omelet. Others at my table ordered fried chicken and one had some kind of chocolate drink that supposedly was made without ice cream. Sure could have fooled me. That drink was rich and gooey-thick. We all have to have a taste of it. Mmmmmm. It was so delicious. Everything was good. Served hot. And the waiter was a real cutie. Sure, it was an indulgence. I loved every single bit of everything I tasted. Now, may I have the server's number????

• Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
“Long Wait, but Decently Worth it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I went on a Monday in December to Serendipity 3, expecting no to wait too long. Unfortunately I was wrong, and I was stuck waiting nearly an hour, when we were told only 30 minutes.
That being said, once we got it the waiter was super attentive, and the dessert drinks we had were really tasty, but too big to finish (another disappointment).
My friend got the Salted Caramel Frozen Hot Chocolate, and she really liked it! I am not a chocolate fan, so I got some Pineapple-Coconut Ice, which was alright. I think she enjoyed hers more than I enjoyed mine. The food people got around us looked good, but we were waiting to eat lunch later with a friend so we passed on eating.
So the hype is really just hype, but it's a treasure to go, especially if you have kids. The atmosphere of the place really makes it an event! Make sure to make reservations very well in advance, though. I believe they take them up to a year in advance and they are all hand written. It's insane. If you can't make a reservation, also I would suggest getting there right as doors open. We only got there 30 minutes after, and had to wait nearly 1 hour. Crazy!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jenny N
Sydney, Australia
“Be warned if you are not a local”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We came to this place from Australia specifically for a Frozen Hot Chocolate. When we arrived we asked the girl who seated us if just ordering dessert was OK and she said that was fine. There was my husband and I and our 11 year old so we just ordered 2 between the 3 of us after seeing how large they were. No problem. They arrived after 10 minutes and were delicious but I agree with previous reviewer that they are not as good as the Australian Gloria Jeans version of the same thing.

When we were half way through our desserts the snooty waiter came over and asked if we were going to order another one but we were having trouble finishing what we had so we said "no thank you". He then pointed to a little notice at the bottom of the menu on the back page in the corner that said "minimum $8.50 per person charge". Now I understand why this is the policy because 4 people could sit down for an hour and order one dessert but I think given my initial question to the hostess about just ordering dessert and given our broad and obvious Australian accents, it might have been prudent to point this out when seating us.

The waiter asked if we would like something else on the menu but we would have thrown up had we eaten another thing so I asked if we could have a lemon tart "to go" (which is not done in Australia but very common in USA we have noticed) and the waiter said to us, and I quote: "I suppose now that you have finished your other desserts we might be able to do that" - everyone in NYC has been so lovely to us and we have really enjoyed our visit but as laid back, friendly Australians, we are not used to be treated in such a condescending way.

We left with a foul taste in our mouths after that and went to the next street and bought the most
awesome Chocolate Eclairs (for dessert tonight) from Financiers Patisserie.

The owner sits at a table doing his accounts, the waiter is snooty and unfriendly and there are Indian nationals everywhere who only seem to be allowed to clear tables and were not able to take our order, did not know what was on the menu and were not allowed to take our money when we finished. A very strange arrangement.

My recommendation would be: don't bother unless you are desperate for a Frozen Hot Chocolate and you will get better service with a smile in Starbucks ordering a frozen drink there.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Matbec380
Brisbane
“Yum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

The food here is great. Has a nice authentic American diner kind of feel about it. Although personally I was a little disappointed with the Frozen Hot Chocolate. It doesn't compare to Gloria Jean's Iced Chocolate. It was definitely novel though. Worth the trip for the cute souvenirs and what not for sale at the store. The meals we had we huge. My mum got the Southern Fried Chicken and the wing was practically the size of her head! Luckily, at the time, we didn't experience any of the waiting that seems to be the issues in most reviews.

• Visited March 2012
Birmingham, England
“Don't let the potential waiting time put you off”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We got to Serendpity 3 about 9pm on a Saturday evening and the lady outside said it was a 3 hour wait! We decided to come back at a later point in our trip but thought we would just pop into their shop to have a look and as a large group of people were leaving we were lucky enough to get a table as no one else was waiting (only time I think I have been grateful of rain!)

We got seated upstairs and it seemed much cosier than downstairs. The Christmas decorations were lovely and the staff helpful.

The food was great, very filling! Our group had burgers and omlette and no was was disappointed with their food. Then came dessert! The frozen hot chocolate was devine and I could have had one of these to myself! A couple of girls on the table next to us ordered cheesecake and another dessert and these were huge too!

Just be aware that they don't sell alcohol, which a couple of our group wanted after a long flight only a couple of hours earlier! However you do get free water and they are constantly filling up your glass!

I was so excited to finally visit Serendipity 3 as I had never made it here on previous trips but I can guarantee I'll be visiting everything time I am in NY in the future.

If you do visit be prepared to want to try lots of things and to come out feeling very full!

• Visited December 2012