“Loved this restaurant!”
Review of Orsay

Orsay
Reserve with OpenTable
Orsay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,441 of 15,904 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: 75th Street and Lexington Avenue
Transit: 6 train to 77th Street, then walk south two blocks.
Description: Designed by partner Jean Denoyer, Orsay strikes that difficult balance of sophisticated-chic in a warm convivial atmosphere. Dark mahogany raised paneled walls meet Art Nouveau styled arches in a deep, creamy butter color. The floor is a work of art, Italian mosaic tiles in warm tones of precious metals hand laid in a beautiful fan pattern that floats in waves across the expanse of floor. Banquettes with high wood backs topped with frosted glass panels provide privacy if wanted, and the low, soft lighting emanates from Art Nouveau period chandeliers that Denoyer had custom designed. A 20-foot long zinc-topped wood bar shipped in one piece from France, and French doors that spill onto the sidewalk terrace, completing the feeling that you are in the 9th arrondisement in Paris. This sophisticated and elegant Parisian-style brasserie marries modern French cuisine and classic brasserie fare. Orsay's award-winning wine list includes all 300 predominantly French and American varietals.
Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

The food and the ambiance were great. Ny dinner companion and I both enjoyed our food and loved that the restaurant is elegant yet casual. We were looking for an atmosphere that was not stuffy. I will definitely return when in NY.

1  Thank Miriam F

Reviewed June 23, 2017 via mobile

I had dinner at Orsay on Lexington Avenue last night following a meeting and doing at 10 PM.

The restaurant was still full outside and in, and I ate at one of the tables next to the zinc bar.

The special Orsay hamburger was delicious with cheese and superb French fries. I had asked for rare and it arrived medium rare, but was still very good beef and very delicious. It went beautifully with a cold beer.

I especially liked the French bread served with a very grassy extra-virgin olive oil, purportedly from France.

The sound level was quite high; service was a bit slow in the bar area but still acceptable; and cleanliness was very good.

1  Thank robcurtross
Reviewed June 8, 2017

I have lived in NYC for a very long time and went to dinner at Orsay last evening with a friend from Westchester.
The food was not good. A coffee shop would have had better roasted chicken.
The servers were glum and looked bored and uninterested. The NOISE LEVEL was unbearable. We were two and sat right next to each other and westill had to scream so the other person could hear. .
I would never go back to this restaurant. There are too many other wonderful restaurants in NYC that serve good food and you can hear yourself think. We shared a roasted chicken entrée, two appetizers, one desert, one diet coke. We EACH paid $65 for a terrible meal and rude screaming clientele.

1  Thank nyc436
Reviewed June 3, 2017

We had lunch here. The food was top notch (I had a filleted Bronzino that was fabulous). Caring and attentive staff, excellent presentations and very tasty. Upscale, but not stuffy.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank Dream803231
Reviewed May 29, 2017 via mobile

Orsay is a charming French styled brasserie. Having visited before with an out on of town friend several years ago it came to mind when thinking about where to go for a French styled restaurant to enjoy Easter brunch, that was reminiscent of the long gone La Goulue. Orsay did not disappoint, the service was attentive yet not obtrusive and the food was excellent and well priced for the offerings, which were extensive. I had the Eggs Benedict with salmon while my husband enjoyed salmon. The Bloody Mary I ordered was excellent as well. We sat banquette style and the only downside was that we sat next to someone who unnecessarily and loudly complained throughout her entire meal for one thing or another. I have to say the servers addressed her demands calmly and patiently. We went back to Orsay in May on my birthday just for drinks and again, had a lovely time and enjoyed the beautiful zinc bar which is imported from France. I recommend a visit or 2 or more to this taste of France on Lexington Avenue, you'll be glad you did!!

Date of visit: April 2017