“Ordinary and expensive”
Review of Orsay

Orsay
Reserve with OpenTable
Orsay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,011 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: 75th Street and Lexington Avenue
Transit: 6 train to 77th Street, then walk south two blocks.
Description: Designed by partner Jean Denoyer, Orsay strikes that difficult balance of sophisticated-chic in a warm convivial atmosphere. Dark mahogany raised paneled walls meet Art Nouveau styled arches in a deep, creamy butter color. The floor is a work of art, Italian mosaic tiles in warm tones of precious metals hand laid in a beautiful fan pattern that floats in waves across the expanse of floor. Banquettes with high wood backs topped with frosted glass panels provide privacy if wanted, and the low, soft lighting emanates from Art Nouveau period chandeliers that Denoyer had custom designed. A 20-foot long zinc-topped wood bar shipped in one piece from France, and French doors that spill onto the sidewalk terrace, completing the feeling that you are in the 9th arrondisement in Paris. This sophisticated and elegant Parisian-style brasserie marries modern French cuisine and classic brasserie fare. Orsay's award-winning wine list includes all 300 predominantly French and American varietals.
Ottawa
“Ordinary and expensive”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I visited recently as a part of a group of friends based on one acquaintance recommendation. I ordered the filet mignon at 39 dollars and it was very ordinary. I have had much better for half the price. They came with fries which were inedible. I also had the onion soup to start and it was a disappointment. On the positive side the service was very good and the chocolate mousse for dessert was exceptional. Overall it was a disappointment for the price and there are much better options in NYC.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank pxb123

Sydney, Australia
“Ooh La La!! C'est magnifique!”
Reviewed March 30, 2011

My husband and I were visiting from Australia. We were staying at The Surrey Hotel (see my review) and came across this lovely piece of Paris, in Lexington Ave on the upper east side. We loved it so much, that we went there twice and we never do this on our brief stays, because we always like to try something different. We could not fault a thing. If you read my other reviews, you will see that I tell it like it is. I give this place a 10/10. Try it; I hope you like it!

• Visited March 2011
Pennsylvania
“Beautiful and delicious food”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Windows and doors open on a warm summer evening made dinner special and so comfortable. Great and fresh salad. Very good fish and fab creme brulee. A bit expensive but very fun.

1 Thank kappatraveler
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I only went for dessert...”
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I only went for dessert. Will have to go back for dinner or brunch.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Typical UES crowd but good food and service.”
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Typical UES crowd but good food and service.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook