“Fab Brunch”
Review of Maya

Maya
Reserve with OpenTable
Maya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,901 of 14,208 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Contemporary, Central American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between 64th and 65th streets
Transit: 6 Train to 68th street-Hunter College N, Q, R, 4, 5, 6 Trains at 59th & Lexington
Description: At Maya, Chef Richard Sandoval offers his signature blend of authentic Mexican ingredients and innovative culinary techniques. Handcrafted margaritas and a selection of over 100tequilas pair beautifully with the flavorful dishes. In the main and private dining rooms, handmade Mexican artwork completes Maya’s dining experience.
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Unlimited Tapas and Mimosas & Margaritas - sat & sun enJOY a relaxed atmosphere and a wide variety of food and drinks the Mango Mimosa and Traditional Margarita along with the ceviche, the Huitlacoche & Wild Mushroom Enchiladas & Eggs Albanil/Scrambled eggs / chicharron / black beans /salsa verde / crema fresca are my favs

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Finding myself alone but with an exceptional reason to celebrate recently while in the city I decided that I would treat myself to a margarita and lunch.

A 3 second google search quickly informed me I was a mere 150 feet from "the best" margaritas in all of NYC so I made a bee-line directly to Maya- which was somewhat busy for lunch on this particular Wednesday- where I grabbed a chair at the bar and inquired with the bartender which of the many margaritas on the drink menu had earned the "Best in NYC" designation- he immediately responded that it was the "Mayan"~ of course.

Perhaps it was my elated mood or the excellent service I received throughout my lunch experience there from Eduardo the bartender but the margarita on the rocks with a distinct "red" salted rim providing a nice "bang" finish with each sip and made with both Tamarind & citrus juices was quite possibly the absolute BEST Margarita I've enjoyed to date! It was certainly the most unique and unusual and tasted phenomenally exquisite.

After that major "win" of a suggestion from Eduardo I asked him to please choose my lunch items from the offerings on their $19 price-fixe 3 course lunch menu- he definitely did not disappoint. The Mexicana Salad was more food then it appeared to be with chopped napa cabbage & shredded chicken along with with black beans, roasted corn & pico de gallo all piled high on a fresh tostada and topped with an avocado vinaigrette- it was a wonderful combination of textures and bursting with big and bold exceptionally fresh flavors. This was followed by an amazingly flavorful achiote marinated skirt steak with chile pulla sauce and for dessert I thoroughly enjoyed a lovely creamy and decadent obviously from scratch flan.

Truly one of the best- if not "the" best Mexican meal I've ever experienced. This was due not only to the strong culinary talent in the kitchen and the well crafted and planned menu creations but also in no small part a result of an exceptionally hospitality minded and authentic- sincere bartender that didn't shirk from serving food as so many do these days hidden behind their bars, but he truly embraced it engaging me in a sincerely friendly and caring conversation and making recommendations that I never would have chosen if left to order on my own- yet I LOVED ALL OF IT, & I've been literally a walking commercial for the place ever since that day- spreading e word especially about the generous "Happy Hour" with extended hours every day and allowing one to enjoy the regularly $13 each award winning Mayan Margarita for a mere $6 each and small plate apps for 2 for $6 and each "Taco Tuesday" receive all of this PLUS $2 tacos~ an amazing deal and honestly one of the best service experiences I've ever had with a bartender any time any where.

Thanks Eduardo- you ROCK my brothah!

1  Thank biz_leisure_Travel91
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We chose Maya because my wife had been there over 10 years ago and she said it was memorable. Well, that hasn't changed. We had a great meal starting with outstanding skinny margaritas and tasty guacamole. They were having a tamale festival so we ordered a sampler as an appetizer (highly recommended!). We each got a different entree: 2 steak dishes, a pork dish and a seafood dish. Everyone was raving about how good their choice was. Our server Paula was perfect. Her recommendations were on target and she took great care of us. Some have complained about the noise level but we were seated at a corner table and were not bothered by noise at all. We will return on our next NYC trip.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Getting good Mexican food in NYC is a challenge. Maya's food is good, but the noise level takes away some of the enjoyment.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I have been to this restaurant a few times and now make it my first stop for dinner when visiting NY. You will not be dissapointed. The service and the food are outstanding.
This is not your standard Mexican fare by any means.