“A good place to avoid”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I had eaten here several times, with my wife, friends, etc. I always found the food acceptable if not fairly good.
I ate here several weeks ago. I ordered the swordfish for my main course. The food arrived about 25 minutes later, I tasted a foul mouthful of rotten fish. I called the waitress over and told her. She immediately sent for the manager who said it looked OK to him, and did I want another portion. I replied no thanks. He responded the he knew I had just changed my mind and really wanted something else, that there was nothing wrong with the fish. Really not the right response.
Not feeling hungry anymore I let my friend and wife finish, then asked for the check.
He did not take off the fish.
I then did something I have never done, and adjusted the check appropriately. Leaving a large tip for the confused waitress. I then told the rude manager what I did, and we left.. When the American Express bill arrived it had the full amount, which I disputed.
After a some weeks Amex told me Beyoglu did not give them a proper receipt.. (I had written I would only pay the adjusted amount)
Amex then denied the total amount not even giving them the adjusted amount.
This was something I never experienced before.
After eating there for the past few years I was really taken aback, the manager who knew I was a regular was not on that night. I am sure the matter would have been handled quite differently if he had been.

Unfortunately
Jeremy T,

3  Thank jeremy t
There are newer reviews for Beyoglu

Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Food was in smaller plates. Quality was spot on. I recommend the sampler platter. House bread was a nice touch. Prices are definitely appropriate

Reviewed November 1, 2012

As a family of four, one of us had the swordfish, which was extremely tasty, and the rest of us had a meze. All the food was well cooked, fresh, authentic, and flavoured fantastically. Best meal we've had on our whole trip, and definitely the best Turkish/Mediterranean in New York City.
A must visit!

(Only negative was the toilets were unclean.)

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This restaurant has great food at a very reasonable price, which is why I returned for lunch for the second time. I sat at the bar and my waitress was a very nice Ukranian woman who convinced me to try the baklava for dessert (some of the best I've ever had).

The manager then proceeds to yell at her quite loudly right smack in front of myself and other customers, telling her that she needs to "wake up!" and that it's the "last time I'm saying anything!" I found this completely rude and disrespectful. She didn't seem to be doing anything wrong and even if she were, it might have been a good idea for the manager to pull her aside to let her know instead of making a scene in the middle of the restaurant.

Beyoglu offically lost a potential long time customer. I don't condone this type of behavior.

1  Thank Danielle R
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We went early because this place gets packed. It was a great pre shakespeare in the Park place to go. All four of us had a wonderful meal. They have large platters for their entrees that you can really share between two people. Their sampler plate of appetizers was great and the hummus was fantastic. And I don't even like hummus that much. I would absolutely go here again.