“A nearly perfect lunch”
Review of Cafe Boulud

Cafe Boulud
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Boulud is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #145 of 13,765 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: 5th and Madison Avenues
Transit: #6 Train to 77th Street & Lexington Avenue M1, M2,M3 or M4 buses on Madison Avenue - 77th Street Stop
Description: CAFÉ BOULUD features a French-American menu inspired by Chef Daniel Boulud's four culinary muses: la tradition, classic French cuisine; la saison, seasonal delicacies; le potager, the vegetable garden; and le voyage, the flavors of world cuisines. In addition to dinner seven nights, we feature a $37 two-course prix-fixe lunch six days a week, and brunch on Sundays. The restaurant is both a neighborhood gem and a destination for food lovers in search of casually elegant dining. Two private dining rooms seating 18 guest each are available for your private entertaining needs, and may be combined to accommodate 40. The restaurant's adjacent BAR PLEIADES serves inventive cocktails and a luxurious bar menu from 3 pm onwards. DANIEL • DB Bistro Moderne •Boulud Sud• Bar Boulud • DBGB Kitchen & Bar
Takoma Park, Maryland
“A nearly perfect lunch”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I attended with 3 others. It was a social/business lunch at the height of Friday lunch. The pacing was completely unhurried. The food was nearly exquisite. I had a cauliflower and pasta appetizer that was astonishingly good. The duck breast was a little plain for my tastes but in terms of perfectly cooked and tender, it could not be improved upon. The wine steward knowledgeable and relaxed. More than two hours after we started we were still chatting and enjoying a cup of coffee. At no moment did we feel any pressure to move along. The only thing that prevented me from giving 5 stars was one slightly unprofessional table attendant who felt a need to fling the silverware into place.

• Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Helsinki
“Nice Saturday lunch”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had lunch with my son who is a little bit of a foodie on the 19th October.

The service was good and we noticed there's much more staff than in european restaurants which is nice. They were always available, but not at all intrusive.

I'm vegetarian and was very happy to find suitable items on the menu. The endive salad as a started was delicious. As an entree I chose the pasta with some kind of pumpkin (I don't remember which one anymore), it was good but the portion was tiny altough I asked for a main course size. The dessert of artisanal cheeses rounded up the meal nicely. The wine menu was extensive and interesting.

My son had the lunch menu. The starter was a bit unexpected, like a flatbread. It wasn't bad but...a little bit cheap perhaps. Fortunately the duck combo entree was perfect . And some dessert with chocolate ok. I got the impression that you get a better value for your money when you choose a la carte.

We had a lovely lunch and I'd like to visit Boulud cafe again.

Nashville, Tennessee
“Delish!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I went up to visit my daughter in NYC and she suggested brunch at Cafe Boulud. I had the 3 course and she had the two course lunch selection and we were so glad we choose to eat here. The service was wonderful. The waiters were attentive but did not make you feel rushed...I had to ask for the check! The food was delicious and I thought well priced. We split dessert and left feeling as if we had made a good choice. I will have to really resist the urge to go back instead of trying something new in the City. I would highly recommend dining here! Everything we had was superb.

• Visited November 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“"Amazing as always"”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Every time I visit NYC I dine at Café Boulud and they always exceed my expectations. I love that the menu changes with the seasons and they always have new cuisine for me to indulge in. Ate her in late October and had a great experience as usual. For starters me and my partner shared the seared foie gras with pears & beignets-outstanding! I had the venison loin w/ classic au poive and he had the Asian artic char, again both dishes were amazing. But I must say the highlight of the evening was the Premier Cru "Clos du Fonteny" red burgundy, worth every penny!! I am a sommelier in Philly and I'm never disappointed with the extensive wine selections at Café Boulud-Bravo!!

Suffolk
“Ok but with several reservations.”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

After a small amuse bouche starters were also not large, Maine peekytoe crab had several other ingredients making the crab content hard to spot, my Squab en Croute a semicircular slice, of what was more like pate was half wrapped in what was more of a crepe than croute I was expecting, squab in the UK usually means a reared pigeon, this one was I assume wild as there was a shot in it, I did mention this to the waitress with no reaction. Mains were a little more substantial, New Zealand venison loin and civet, civet being a type of French stew and not the cat, nice quite pink but not rare and a touch tough. Classic duo of dray aged beef was OK flavours perhaps being masked by the shallot jus. Artistic desserts, the restaurant was being treated more as a cafe, which it is called, by what we presumed to be locals, the men on a table of four near us shared what appeared to be fried chicken that I did not spot on the menu, we had a good evening partly because our conversation with another couple on a very close table