“Very good italian cuisine”

Caravaggio Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Caravaggio Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,121 of 13,763 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Madison Avenue
Recife, Brazil
“Very good italian cuisine”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Went solo for dinner and don`t regret it. Very good food and service. Staff was very attentive.

It`s in a very good neighborhood and a walking distance from the Metropolitan Museum.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Efrem_Brazil

“unbelievable”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

i had the pleasure to dine at the Caravaggio on October 21, as my wife was convalescing at The Surrey! I am fond of Italian food and live in Wash DC and my son lives in NYC.. The tuna carpaccio/tuna tartare was the freshest lightest ever, and the Vitello Tonato... veal with Tuna spread on top was the best Ive had..even in Italy!! BUT the piece de resistance was a specially-made-for-me fettucini with WHITE TRUFFLES!! WOW! the truffles were fresh delicious and generous! This MAY have been the best dinner I had of its genre since Bravo Gianni closed due/to death of its owner! I started with a classic gin martini and then moved to a FABULOUS glass of a sicillian white, recommended by the knowledgeable sommelier! I would go back ANY time Im in NYC and probably will! I had no room for desert and a curiosity as to eating our way through their fantastic menu! Lewis Winkler MD

Visited October 2011
3 Thank Lewis20007
“Unexpectedly wonderful!”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We were staying in a neighborhood hotel and were recommended Caravaggio for dinner. We have 2 children, ages 8 and 6, that are sophisticated diners. Trusting the concierge, we went and had an amazing dinner. Their sommelier made wonderful recommendations from their extensive wine list. It's a definite hit on our places to return in the Big Apple. Thank you Andrew at the Surrey for your recommendations.

Hong Kong, China
“Great food, great wine list, great service”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Staying in a hotel in the upper East side of NY, my daughter, a 16 year old foodie, searched the area on the Internet and found a selection of restaurants to choose from for a very good meal with a client of mine. Consistently Caravaggio came up on every list, so we decided to try it, despite its clear high price tag. As is usually the case you get what you pay for. This is without question a first class restaurant by any standard. The name would suggest some old style place with oil paintings on the walls, but this was somewhat funky with quite modern decor and interesting murals like some graffiti art. Having adjusted to that, the wine list turned up. My jaw dropped and I started drooling. As my guest was not a drinker I had to satisfy my urges with some excellent wines by the glass. The wine waiter was great and made some off menu recommendations. The menu is fanatstic, the best of Italian high cuisine and really delivered in quality terms. There was a young Russian waitress attending to us and she helped make the night wonderful with a sense of humour, first class service and a genuine smile. The staff seemed to recognize the table was humming and we had a few nice comments and genuine good byes as we left. To me going here is a no-brainer. I wished I lived in NY just so could make this my regular.

• Visited August 2011
Brunswick, Maine
“A secret gem well known to its classy neighbors”
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I don't understand what TripAdvisor means when it shows "reviewed via Facebook" for this restaurant. Anyway, I was just there two nights ago. The staff is, for a change from many restauarants these days, made up of grown-ups, professionals, adults, not kid actors waiting for their big break. The staff was entirely informative and helpful. The sommelier recommended one wine, but had changed his mind before he got back with it and had selected another and better one, which we got to taste first, unusual for a wine by the bottle, not the glass. It was excellent. The interior is artistic, referencing the artist Caravaggio; the rear wall is covered with artistic drawings, perhaps in fresco technique, of faces. The space, unlike many other restarants, is open and light and airy, not dark and gloomy. Key here is that the tables are widely spaced, with two large aisles running the length of the room to allow easy service. It is more akin to estate dining than crowded restaurant dining. The food was excellent, high end, expertly prepared Italian. The only downside, and this is a matter of personal view, to me was that the specials are many, perhaps 15 or so, perhaps even 20, and are all recited by the table captain. OK, clever, and shows that they have specials and that the staff can memorize, but in this day of easy printing, my own preference is to have an elegant list to peruse at leisure. You may want to take notes. The restauraunt is located not only near the excellent Mark Hotel and the Surrey Hotel, with their own amazing bars and restaurants (the Mark and Cafe Boulud respectively), but also central to the sophisticated "upper east side" of Manhattan. The clientele seemed to be made up of affluent, educated, gentle, informed and gracious neighbors, feeling at home and relaxed.

• Visited February 2011