“Horrible Service, Average Food, Above Average Prices”

Scalinatella Restaurant
Ranked #2,100 of 16,638 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lenox Hill
Reviewed September 10, 2016

Met some friends at this restaurant with an 8 PM reservation. Took 50 minutes to get our table in spite of the reservation with really no where to stand and wait. Once seated, it took the waiter 30 minutes after delivering our menus to come back to take our order and that was only after we stopped him in the aisle. After ordering (we did not order appetizers because it now was so late), it took another 50 minutes to get our food. Once our table was cleared, it was another 30 minutes to be asked for dessert or coffee. After one espresso which did come right away, we had to flagged down the waiter again to get our check after waiting another 25 minutes.
Food was good, not great. Veal chop that was order medium rare came well done and it was returned. It was replaced with a rare (cold in the middle) chop that was good but not great.
For these prices ($52 for the chop, pastas in the $25 range), will skip this place in the future.

Date of visit: September 2016
1  Thank Brent B
Write a reviewReviews (252)

Reviewed September 7, 2016 via mobile

The minute you walk downstairs, you realize you are in a very special place. The waiters are knowledgeable and don't hesitate to help in any way they can. The food is truly delicious. There were eight of us and everyone was extremely satisfied. We will definitely be back the next time we are in town.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed August 16, 2016

Whenever I stay in the city I make sure that I have dinner in this restaurant. As soon as you go down the steps and enter this restaurant you are transported to Italy. The food is simply delicious, many of the dishes are prepared table side. The service is wonderful and they have an excellent wine list.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed August 10, 2016 via mobile

This restaurant is located in a brick lined basement. You feel like you are actually in Italy. The tables are small and close together, but the food is fantastic. Our party of four was given two complimentary appetizers, one was seafood on endive and another was sautéed zucchini. Both were delicious, especially the tangy squash. Though the menu is small, the nightly specials go on and on. Be prepared -- don't try to hear all of them. Just listen for a couple you might like! Then, the waiter can repeat those for you. We had gnocchi, seafood salad, pasta, salmon, and another fish, and everyone was happy with their choice. Expensive, but worth it for an occasion.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed August 9, 2016

I visited this restaurant 3 years ago for a corporate dinner and have never forgotten the truffle pasta. I had to go back. I dream of the truffle pasta. A large family style portion will set you back over $100, but its' quite epic! I booked a reservation a month in advance. I would give this an excellent rating if the service was better, and I'll be honest, if you're not a regular there, you're a nobody. We waited for a table for at least 40 minutes, even with a reservation. I did get my truffle pasta though and it was worth it. I'll still be back.

Date of visit: May 2016