“Always outstanding”

Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lenox Hill
Reviewed August 16, 2016

Whenever I stay in the city I make sure that I have dinner in this restaurant. As soon as you go down the steps and enter this restaurant you are transported to Italy. The food is simply delicious, many of the dishes are prepared table side. The service is wonderful and they have an excellent wine list.

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (252)

Reviewed August 10, 2016 via mobile

This restaurant is located in a brick lined basement. You feel like you are actually in Italy. The tables are small and close together, but the food is fantastic. Our party of four was given two complimentary appetizers, one was seafood on endive and another was sautéed zucchini. Both were delicious, especially the tangy squash. Though the menu is small, the nightly specials go on and on. Be prepared -- don't try to hear all of them. Just listen for a couple you might like! Then, the waiter can repeat those for you. We had gnocchi, seafood salad, pasta, salmon, and another fish, and everyone was happy with their choice. Expensive, but worth it for an occasion.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed August 9, 2016

I visited this restaurant 3 years ago for a corporate dinner and have never forgotten the truffle pasta. I had to go back. I dream of the truffle pasta. A large family style portion will set you back over $100, but its' quite epic! I booked a reservation a month in advance. I would give this an excellent rating if the service was better, and I'll be honest, if you're not a regular there, you're a nobody. We waited for a table for at least 40 minutes, even with a reservation. I did get my truffle pasta though and it was worth it. I'll still be back.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed August 9, 2016

We went here on the recommend of our hotel. Firstly as tourists in the area we were maybe slightly under dressed for the place but we were still made welcome. So to feel more comfortable than we were, the place is a smart place. Suit is best, designer jeans and a smart shirt at the least. Now lets be clear this place is priced on the high side, however the food we had was simply superb!! I repeat superb! The place was filled with how should I say this...authentic local Italian business men, sharp suited with attractive and very well presented ladies at their sides. Certainly not a place to make a fuss! We found the service excellent and the staff to all be friendly (In a normal slightly off hand way, that is our experience of staff in Italy itself) A memorable place and a truly memorable meal. We will be back next time we are in NY. "Forget about it!"

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed August 5, 2016

You walk down stairs, on the north side of 61st Street just east of 3rd Avenue, and enter a full, lively, dimly lighted room. They have a broad variety of good wines and liquors. The food selection is varied for vegetarian, fish and meal eaters. Everything they have is great! The waiting staff knows the menu by heart and will be able to help you choose a dish you will love! The meal will be expensive but worth every time. The best Italian and my favorite restaurant in NYC! Make reservations early as it is always full so expect to relax and have an awesome evening!

Date of visit: May 2016